Practical Way for Porting MP to Linux (1 Viewer)

leo212

Portal Pro
November 30, 2005
Core.dll has been (almost) succesfully compiled under mono. (under Windows, so it still have DirectX calls)
a few minor calls were missing in the mono enviroment.
also UdpHelper couldn't be compiled under mono, does anyone knows what does it used for?

arkay

Portal Member
June 20, 2006
I'd say there's more than enough to do in the various regions that by the time the Linux project was even ready to start showing a GUI the MP gui will have solidified again (as much is it ever does) :)

Communications with MP and Myth could be started now, just getting the streaming going in a plain vanilla window would be an impressive sight.

Cheers,

Arkay.

Why do we at all discuss Myth here? - I know that it runs on Linux, but this is still a MP forum. So yes, it would be impressive just to see a client communicate with MP!

Only in as much as it has been suggested that an MP client frontend native to linux could possibly be extended to function with a Myth backend for those that would like to use a linux tv server. The intent being having all the niceties of MP at their fingertips but being able to use a linux tv server if they so desired (little point in re-inventing the wheel for those that want a linux tv server)...

It's all speculation at this stage.

Cheers,

Arkay.

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Core.dll has been (almost) succesfully compiled under mono. (under Windows, so it still have DirectX calls)
a few minor calls were missing in the mono enviroment.
also UdpHelper couldn't be compiled under mono, does anyone knows what does it used for?

Wow, nice work. But just because it works under windows, does it mean it works under linux? Or are you planning to use WINE...

Anyway, UdpHelper is a class to send and receive UDP packets. Doing a quick search using VS2005 (note that my copy of the MP source code is about a month and a bit old), the only classes using it are the HcwRemote ones in the RemotePlugins project. My guess would be that MP communicates with an outside program via UDP which then communicates with the remote.

Sam

leo212

Portal Pro
November 30, 2005
Wow, nice work. But just because it works under windows, does it mean it works under linux? Or are you planning to use WINE...
it doesn't mean that it will work under linux (it uses a lot of windows dll's)
using wine it isn't the plan, the plan is to replace the dll calls with currosponding calls in open source liberaries. (hard work)

Anyway, UdpHelper is a class to send and receive UDP packets. Doing a quick search using VS2005 (note that my copy of the MP source code is about a month and a bit old), the only classes using it are the HcwRemote ones in the RemotePlugins project. My guess would be that MP communicates with an outside program via UDP which then communicates with the remote.

So I guess I'll have to find a sulotion for the missing calls in UdpHelper, otherwise the Hauppauge Remote won't work.

overture

Portal Pro
January 3, 2006
Bangor
Home Country
Just wanted to wish you all the best with this leo212. I can program to a degree in c# but I dont think my knowledge is at a level which would allow to contribute to this project - especially at this early stage. However, maybe in the future I will be able to help out.

Good luck.

Phil

skulls

Portal Member
January 17, 2005
Barcelona
I also can't help with the programming but I can do some testing if it's any help. I will also 'transmit' all my good karma to you guys, this can really mean a HUGE improvement in the linux experience for many beginners!

I think that with the release of the new Windows Vista, many users will be disappointed with the new OS and will turn to linux instead. If there's a moment in time where linux can really stand a chance against the redmond giant it's right now and I believe it's already starting. Many hardened windows users such as myself are now starting to wake up and see the benefits of opensource (firefox also has been an eye-opener for many).

So there's a great chance for linux, to offer something that users really will want. Mediaportal could be one of the apps that will help making the switch for many desktop users and home theather enthusiasts!

Viva MP Linux!

diehard2

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    This sounds interesting and it looks as though you might be able to pull it off. Good luck.

SpiffBB

Portal Pro
    July 18, 2006
    Have tried MythTv and beside its realy hard to setup (newer got everything to work) its not as "nice" as MP - a realy wish you all the luck! And I would gladly be a beta-tester!
    Regards
    Oscar

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom