Problem installing MySQL 5.6.10 when installing MedialPortal 1.10 (1 Viewer)

russwint

Portal Member
August 8, 2014
Brisbane
Home Country
Australia Australia
I have been using MediaPortal for some years and have recently have had problems installing MediaPortal 1.10 on a fresh install of Windows 7 Professional on a 64 Bit system. The problem has to do with the install of MySQL 5.6.10. During the installation process a window pops up saying 'MySQL - start service exception' and then a window saying - Failed to install application [MySQL]'.

I have tried the install many times after uninstalling MySQL and MediaPortal without success. I have even stepped through uninstalling using Revo Uninstaller and System Ninja and CCleaner as suggested in other posts without success.

You ask me to send log files by running MediaPortal WathDog but as my problem happens during installation I have no log files to send. Unless you can point me to where installation log files are stored.

Please help.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Are you running the installer with administrative privileges? (right click, run as admin)
    Have you tried installing MySQL 5.6 by itself? (...by downloading an installer from the MySQL website)

russwint

Portal Member
    August 8, 2014
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I am running the installer with administrative privileges.

Are there any step-by-step instructions for installing MySQL for use with MediaPortal?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Are there any step-by-step instructions for installing MySQL for use with MediaPortal?
    There is nothing special about the way MySQL should be installed or used with MP. Just install it and select whatever options you prefer. Take note of the root password you select, because you'll need it when you configure TV Server... but that's all.

russwint

Portal Member
    August 8, 2014
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I have been able to install MySQL 5.6 using the hostname of localhost.

MediaPortal will not allow me to use the hostname localhost it says - Please use a valid hostname or IP Address for the server.

The computer I am running MediaPortal on is called Beast and when I say that the hostname is Beast I get the message - Host 'Beast' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server.

I have installed MySQL Workbench and tried setting up a connection using the hostname of Beast and get the same message - 'Host 'Beast' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server.

Any ideas?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    MediaPortal will not allow me to use the hostname localhost it says - Please use a valid hostname or IP Address for the server.
    That's because "localhost" wouldn't work if you happened to want to add additional MediaPortal clients. TV Server would tell the MediaPortal clients to look for a [non-existent] database at "localhost"... when they should actually be trying to connect to the database on the server.

The computer I am running MediaPortal on is called Beast and when I say that the hostname is Beast I get the message - Host 'Beast' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server.
    Are MediaPortal, TV Server and MySQL all installed on "Beast"?
    What database user name are you trying to connect with?

I have installed MySQL Workbench and tried setting up a connection using the hostname of Beast and get the same message - 'Host 'Beast' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server.
    Have you tried setting up a connection with a hostname "localhost"?
    ...and again, what user name are you trying to connect with?

russwint

Portal Member
    August 8, 2014
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Yes, MediaPortal, TV Server and MySQL are all installed on the computer called "Beast"
    The connection to MySQL works if I use Hostname: localhost and Username: MediaPortal
    The connection also works with Username: root
    As you well know TV Server will not allow the use of Hostname: localhost
    Have you any clues as to why "Beast" is not allowed to be the Hostname?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Have you any clues as to why "Beast" is not allowed to be the Hostname?
    Probably either because:
    • MySQL has bound to localhost (which means it is not listening when requests are sent to "Beast"), OR...
    • the user accounts that you're testing with are configured such that they can't connect from any host other than localhost (MySQL can be configured to allow or deny connections on a per-user-per-host basis... which means that a certain user might be able to connect from one PC but not another)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom