Problem: Picture darkens when OSD comes on. (1 Viewer)

petterg

February 12, 2006
Oslo, Norway
I'm totally new to everything ith HTPC, so please bare with me.

Area: Media portal Program
Ver: mp 0.2.0 RC1
CPU: Athlon64 3200+
Render: all
Resolution: all
codec: all
skin: default
Capturecard: hauppauge pvr-150
Displaycard: nvidia 6150 (on motherboard)
MB: Asus a8n-vm CSM
System got installed today, all drivers downloaded today.

Problem: Whenever the OSD comes on (like when I adjust the volume) the tv picture gets dark - almost black all over, except for the area where the OSD is. When the OSD times out (goes away) the tv-picture comes back on.
What could be causing this problem? Where do I start debugging?

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I think that there is now a background that overlays the screen, and the OSD is placed on top of this. You'll notice the same effect if you bring up a contextual menu when navigating the interface outside of full screen video.

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

no Brocklander, that can't be. He is using RC1 and the overlay feature was introduced later. And this does not happen on my machine.

1) Please take a look into the log files:
    - start MP
    - start TV
    - bring up OSD
    - stop MP

/Team Media Portal/MediaPortal/logs/

2) Video renderer has to be set to VMR9. Make sure you explicitly did set it for My TV. This behaviour is an indicator for overlay instead of VMR9.

3) Start->Programs->Hauppauge->Primary
    Set to "Allow video renderer" (not sure about this, not at my HTPC)

4) Latest DirectX9.0c installed?

5) You may try an actual CVS:
    https://www.team-mediaportal.de/mediaportal-cvs-download.php

HTH, Flip.

onkl

Portal Pro
    February 18, 2005
    Wageningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm not sure, but I believed the general section of the settings had some transparency settngs for some time. It might have to do something with your problem (ain't a bug, it's a feature), but, as said, I may just be adding confusion here. :?

petterg

February 12, 2006
    Oslo, Norway
    None of these helped.
    I would believe the problem is overlay rendering. I've found this setting two places in the config - for DVD and MOVIES. I can't find any of such under TV. That might be the problem - that it's using overlay when in TV mode. Where can I change the rendering setting for TV mode? (However there is a logfile called vmr9.log. Does that indicate that the problem is not related to overlay?)

If it's a feature that the picture darkens when OSD comes on there would be a stupid thing to make it so dark that I really have to see that there is any picture at all.

For FlipGer's points:
    1: What should I look for in the logs? I can't see anything that looks like errors.

2: If I only knew how to set it for TV mode....

3: Tried all available options (including allow video render) - didn't help

4: Yes

5: I didn't really understand that. Is the csv some kind of developer release?

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

1) If there is a real error, MP generates a error.log. Take a look into VMR9.log if this is used for TV. In mediaportal.log you can whatch out for VMR7. It should not be used. Again, the darkening is not a feature, its a good indicator for the usage of overlay as renderer.

2) You do not have this option?
    televmr9.jpg

3) Let it stay on "Allow VMR"

5) Yes, its a snapshot of the current work. There were much changes since RC1. Eg. has VMR7 (overlay) been totally removed as video renderer. There is only VMR9 left. So you do not have the problem how to set VMR9 anymore. ;)
    You can download it here:
    https://www.team-mediaportal.de/mediaportal-cvs-download.php

Just follow the instructions. Do not forget to make a backup! CVS snapshots can make things better, but also much worse. Easiest is to copy the whole /MediaPortal/ folder to something like /MediaPortal_CVS/ and unpack the CVS files there. Both version will run side by side.

HTH, Flip.

petterg

February 12, 2006
    Oslo, Norway
    1: There is no VMR7 in vmr9.log. (Also there is no vmr7.log).

2: I don't have that option!

3: ok

5: worth a try

2+5: I'll kick out the current version and try the csv. (That's a project for the weekend.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom