Problem playing some 1080p mkvs (only in mediaportal) Samplefile included (1 Viewer)

anvandarnamn

Portal Pro
February 15, 2007
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hi !

Have anyone else had any problems playing high bitrate 1080p mkvfiles from mediaportal?

It results in blockyness and soundskipping, but only in mediaportal. It does not matter if i use EVR or vmr9 , always the same result..

the strange thing is that I am using the exact same codecs in Windows media player - no problem there...
ffdshow only is used for decoding...

Try the samplefile for yourselves,, i have tried it on several computers with Mediaportal RC2, Same problem,... no problems with any other player...

Download video sample HERE (Rapidshare)

video = 1080p AVC
audio = 96khz FLAC 7.1

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Please don't double post - I have deleted your other (identical) posting on this same topic ....

SoundCave

Portal Member
    September 3, 2008
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hy i try your sample file.

I can visualize it very good, but no sounds........

With KmPlayer , no problem.

Is the sounds in Flac format?

xppx

Portal Pro
    September 2, 2007
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I have noticed exactly the same thing.

Some 1080p work perfectly inside MP. Others (mainly block buster movies and so high bitrate) don't, but run perfectly outside MP.

I also noticed that VLC 0.8.6i stutters inside and outside on those high bitrate movies (but works perfectly with e.g. 720p series), and that VLC 0.9.4 even got worse and only gives a black screen ...

But Windows media player runs those movies perfectly indeed.

Another clue: after checking the taskbar I noticed that inside MP the PowerDVD8 dll's were activated and when running WMP solo they aren't. (VLC uses its own codecs) -> conflicts?

-- edit --

Solved the problem.

The stuttering is caused by VLC. I used the VLC plugin to play my movies in Media Portal.
    But first of all: the VLC plugin is End Of Life and doesn't support VLC 0.9.x anymore (other API).
    Secondly: VLC is singlethreaded, hence the problem with heavy duty formats

So I solved it using:
    - Haali splitter for 1080p mkv's
    - DirectVobSub (autoload) enabled as post processor in movies
    - CoreAVC as decoder for 720p/1080p movies/series with external subtitles (or build in mkv -> still treated by vobsub separately)
    since in this case GPU usage (= HW accelaration) isn't possible
    - PowerDVD8 as decoder for 720p/1080p movies/series without subtitles and this interact directly with the PureVideo HD in my Nvidia card
    - for the rest: FFDshow with 'queue samples' enabled = gives multithreading; & x254 decoder disabled;

And this plays all the types of media files I got perfectly and even stresses the CPU a lot less. I'm happy now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom