Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

Hi

After I install 2.1.0, I cant play any wma music files. This is the error it writes out to the log

26-10-2006 19:56:58 750 [ERROR] BASS: Unable to play D:\Documents and Settings\mediebruger\My Documents\My Music\Razz\Kickflipper\05 Skoletid.wma. Reason: BASS_ERROR_WMA_LICENSE.
26-10-2006 19:56:58 796 [ERROR] PlaylistPlayer: *** unable to play - D:\Documents and Settings\mediebruger\My Documents\My Music\Razz\Kickflipper\05 Skoletid.wma - skipping track!

Any suggestions?. I also tried with the internal player with no luck
btw I have Windows Medie Player 10

tia
Flemming

Timon

Portal Member
September 12, 2006
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Same here. None of my WMA lossless will play. It used to. I ripped a song to OGG and worked fine. Did WMA playback get left out of 2.1?

reagan+carter

Portal Pro
September 6, 2006
Nantes, FR
to fharms: It looks like your WMA is DRM protected. Only Window$ Media Player and very few others can read it. Try to crack the protection on your files first and then retry. Looking at the text description provided with the BASS DLL ("DRM support is available for commercial users."), DRM handling seems to be only available in some versions. I don't know which one has been bought by the Mediaportal developer in charge of the audio section.

to Timon: if it used to work prior to 0.2.1 then it's maybe because BASS player does not provide the same level of compatibility than Window$ Media Player for WMA files. First try to upgrade the basswma.dll, found somewhere within some mediaportal directory, with a newer version if applicable. See here http://www.un4seen.com/download.php?basswm23 for the latest version. Keep a backup of the original file just in case something goes wrong.
Else try to use the internal Directshow player alone.

Timon

Portal Member
September 12, 2006
Home Country
R+J,
I am using the internal Directshow player currently. I'll try downloading the BASS upadte and trying that, thanks.

diehard2

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Home Country
    Wait a second...

You're saying that some version of MediaPortal can actually play dma songs? This would make me very happy. If you figure out which version it is, could you please update the thread?

reagan+carter

Portal Pro
    September 6, 2006
    Nantes, FR
    Wait a second...

You're saying that some version of MediaPortal can actually play dma songs? This would make me very happy. If you figure out which version it is, could you please update the thread?

If you're refering to my post then I was saying that the BASS engine used within Mediaportal can play 'standard' WMAs but -as it appears after reading the first post and from my own experience- NOT DRM-WMA files.

Previous Mediaportal versions, before 0.2.0.5 (if I recall correctly), relied on Windows Media Player to play songs but couldn't handle DRM-protected files either.

diehard2

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2006
    Chicago
    Home Country
    Very sad. I read your post as saying they worked at one time, but now they don't.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Theoratically it would be possible to use BASS for playing DRM protected WMA files.
    But this requires to get a Certificate from Microsoft, that we need to use to sign the BASS Engine.

There are yearly costs for the certificate and we have not verified, if Microsoft would issue a certificate to an open source project.

So most probably you need to play your DRM protected files outside MP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom