Problem Scanning and adding channels (1 Viewer)

vbtalent

Portal Member
March 14, 2010
When running 256 QAM Standard scans, I'm seeing channels marked in Red and Green. The Green channels all appear to be "Active" and the Red channels not active however both are viewable when watching on the television. So, this tells me they are not encrypted.

How do I get the red channels to be in a Green state?

How would I go about adding a channel manually (interested in a single channel) as the information that is required in the information boxes is not readily available unless you a scan which appears to get it incorrect?

VB,

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

When running 256 QAM Standard scans, I'm seeing channels marked in Red and Green. The Green channels all appear to be "Active" and the Red channels not active however both are viewable when watching on the television. So, this tells me they are not encrypted.
    You're right that green channels are meant to be not encrypted (and therefore, viewable) while red channels are (and therefore, not viewable unless you had a CableCARD tuner). Getting this marking right is actually not easy, and currently TV Server doesn't always get it right. However, in general you should expect that most red channels are actually not viewable.

One way to cross-check TV Server's markings is to use the "test timeshifting" function. That function tests whether each of the selected channels are timeshiftable, and unticks those that are not. If a channel is encrypted then it will not be timeshiftable. Therefore you would expect almost all red channels to be unticked if you ran that check.

How do I get the red channels to be in a Green state?
    You edit the channel's tuning detail and tick the "free to air" checkbox:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...or_Edit_a_Channel#Editing_an_existing_channel

I'd like to emphasize again that this is not something you should expect to be doing for a lot of channels.

How would I go about adding a channel manually (interested in a single channel) as the information that is required in the information boxes is not readily available unless you a scan which appears to get it incorrect?
    With difficulty.
    Is the scan picking up the channel and getting the information wrong (=> untunable), or is it not picking up the channel at all?
    If it's the first case, it would be easier to correct the existing channel than add a new channel from scratch.
    In both cases more details about the channel (ie. how you know it is missing; as much detail as you have about the channel [name, number, frequency etc.]) and log files would be required.

Regards,
    mm

vbtalent

Portal Member
    March 14, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback.

So, I ran the "test timeshift" and some the channels have turned green but some are still red. Like I said none of the channels are encrypted or require a cable card which is why I'm a bit confused on its incompleteness.

For instance I have a channel called "Pop" (see attached) the scanner sees it as channel 41-31 but its actually on 9-34, 187250 KHZ, 9.28456312, I know this because it scanned once before but now its gone.

"Is the scan picking up the channel and getting the information wrong (=> untunable), or is it not picking up the channel at all?"

Yes, the channel was scanned but the settings are incorrect.

VB,

Attachments

• SNAG-0014.jpg
      SNAG-0014.jpg
      103.3 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Like I said none of the channels are encrypted or require a cable card which is why I'm a bit confused on its incompleteness.
    Are you saying that your cable provider is not encrypting any of its channels? I'd be very surprised if that were the case... and I think some people may want to know who your provider is.

For instance I have a channel called "Pop" (see attached)...
    I'm not seeing a relevant attachment.

...the scanner sees it as channel 41-31 but its actually on 9-34, 187250 KHZ, 9.28456312, I know this because it scanned once before but now its gone.
    If you're getting inconsistent scan results then it's possible you haven't set the SDT/VCT timeout high enough.

Without your attachment I'm not 100% clear whether the channel numbers you're quoting are <physical>-<program number> or <virtual major>-<virtual minor>. Both could be right, I don't know. I also don't know what that 9.28... number is.

"Is the scan picking up the channel and getting the information wrong (=> untunable), or is it not picking up the channel at all?"

Yes, the channel was scanned but the settings are incorrect.
    Like I said in my previous post: you're going to need to be more specific (what settings are incorrect and how do you know? etc.), and post log files.

It would also be helpful to know what your goal is in starting this thread so that we can focus on the stuff you want to focus on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom