Problem: White, blank screen when starting MP (1 Viewer)

bradek

Portal Member
May 27, 2006
Area: Media Portal Program
MP Version: 2.0 RC4
Skin: Any of the bundled, it does not matter
Windows Version: Windows MCE, SP2, UR2, all updates from windowsupdate.microsoft.com, till this date
CPU Type: Intel Celeron 2,66
Memory: 256MB DDR
Motherboard Chipset: ATI chipset (ASUS Pundit-R barebone system)
Video Card: ATI radeon 9100 on-board (set to allocate 32MB)
Video Card Driver: Catalyst 05.12 (6.14)
Video Card Resolution: 1024x768
Video Render Type: ?
Video Codec Type & Version: ?
Audio Codec Type & Version: ?
TV Card: Pinnacle 110i
TV Card Type: software
TV Card Driver: Latest for WinMCE
Optional Log: http://mp.pastebin.com/741888

Synopsis:

When I startup MP all I get is a blank white screen. The only visible things are the date, MP animated logo and the menu items (text), but everything else is white and the responsivness is very low. CPU usage is constant 15-25%.

It does not matter what kind of skin I use, it's always the same result, just diferent positioning of items.

I've tried downloading from a different mirror (to avoid possible installer corruption) but the result is the same.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
bradek

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi bradek,

this sounds not good. :?

Your log looks quite ok to me. Also your hardware config seems to be ok

Besides the low amount of memory. Try to allocate 64 MB to your 9100. MP is somewhat hungry for hardware, since it renders its GUI like an game. Try lowering your resolution to 800x600.

Flip.

Efros

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2006
    Maine
    Home Country
    England England
    Allocating 64 Mb will cut your system memory to 192 Mb, running XP on that will make it run like its broke, add at least 256 Mb preferably 512 Mb. In the mean time as Flipger said reduce your resolution and see if that helps.

bradek

Portal Member
    May 27, 2006
    Hi there.

I've increased the memory to 64MB and now everything is OK.

Thanks!

Regards,
    bradek

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    bradek,

I find it hard to believe everything is ok. I also have a Celeron 2,66 and onboard ATI 9100, but with 512MB and 128MB for graphic memory. This leaves 396MB ish for XP and MP. I've stopped a few XP services and when I boot up XP uses 160MB leaving 200MB ish for MP. (Which I would say is the minimum)

With this setup I can use MP fine, but sometimes it is a little slow, and I have a 150MCE hardware encoder. I have tried using a a few software encoders (Pinnacle and AVMedia) on my development laptop for testing which is much faster, has much more memory and a real DX9 graphic card with its own memory. With the software encoder MP runs like a dog. So I wouldn't be supprised if you still have some performance problems with your setup. But I'm happy if it works for you.

bradek

Portal Member
    May 27, 2006
    James, you are correct.

The interface is functioning OK, but it's really slow. I'll be adding more RAM today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom