Problem with Blu-ray The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - only plays properly in debug MePo (1 Viewer)

wiyosaya

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I was playing back the Blu-ray of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, and I was having problems with color bands across the entire screen (the movie is apparently 21:9, and only fills part of a 16:9 screen, yet the color bands were extending across my entire screen) as if there was some sort of video compression problems that affected the entire video signal.

In addition, when I tried to back up by 15 seconds, the video froze while the audio kept playing. I was then unable to close MePo, I went to the task manager, and it listed MePo as "not responding" so I killed it. I restarted MePo, went back to the Blu-ray and tried to skip to the chapter that is closest to where I was. The same thing happened in that there were color bands across the entire screen, the audio kept playing, but the video froze, MePo froze, and then I had to kill it.

I then started the debug version of MePo, and simlarly to the thread I posted about The Day of the Doctor, the Blu-ray played properly. Gone was the color banding, and I was able to navigate anywhere within by jumping in time, or by using chapter navigation.

I am attaching log files from the session where I watched the movie in debug mode, and I am also attaching the complete set of log files that I exported using the export all current log files option (I don't know that they are different - I assume they are the same, but just in case they are not, I am attaching both).

It seems that there are Blu-ray disks that only play properly when MePo is running in debug mode, and that this may be a viable work-around when a Blu-ray disk does not play properly in non-debug mode MePo.

Please note that I am using AnyDVDHD 7.5.2.

Thanks.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

The logs from a working scenario don't tell us much unless we also have the logs from the non-working scenario to compare against. So, could you please post logs with the watchdog option 2 (ie. with all your plugins enabled) so that we can see logs that show the problem.

Regards,
    mm

PS: I suspect you'd be better off using the LAV video codec than the AMD video codec. That goes for TV, DVD and video as well as Blu-Ray. The logs show that MP failed to use the AMD video codec to play your DVD. MP ended up falling back on the Microsoft DTV-DVD video codec.

wiyosaya

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2014
    Home Country
    Hello
    PS: I suspect you'd be better off using the LAV video codec than the AMD video codec. That goes for TV, DVD and video as well as Blu-Ray. The logs show that MP failed to use the AMD video codec to play your DVD. MP ended up falling back on the Microsoft DTV-DVD video codec.

I changed every instance of where I had an AMD codec in the setup, and you are quite correct. It does work properly with the LAV Video codec. I assume that MePo must be optimized in some way to work with the LAV codecs as the latest AMD codecs are supposed to work properly (I am not setup to verify this, though). Previously, I had only tried changing to the LAV codec on the Blu-ray tab in MePo config, and that did not work.

Anyway, the good thing is that it works with the LAV filters.

Just in case there is any interest, I am attaching log files of a default plugins session and the second option that enables all plugins.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I assume that MePo must be optimized in some way to work with the LAV codecs...
    I don't think so. A lot of people use the LAV codecs, so compatibility issues with them do tend to get spotted and fixed. I guess you could call that optimisation... but the same applies for compatibility issues with other codecs.

...as the latest AMD codecs are supposed to work properly (I am not setup to verify this, though).
    If my memory serves correctly, in the previous logs it looked like the AMD codecs didn't support the video format of whatever you were trying to play. In other words, I have no evidence to support the claim that they're supposed to work properly.

wiyosaya

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 22, 2014
    Home Country
    I assume that MePo must be optimized in some way to work with the LAV codecs...
    I don't think so. A lot of people use the LAV codecs, so compatibility issues with them do tend to get spotted and fixed. I guess you could call that optimisation... but the same applies for compatibility issues with other codecs.

...as the latest AMD codecs are supposed to work properly (I am not setup to verify this, though).
    If my memory serves correctly, in the previous logs it looked like the AMD codecs didn't support the video format of whatever you were trying to play. In other words, I have no evidence to support the claim that they're supposed to work properly.
    Well, I did not think of it that way, but more use certainly equals more people spotting problems. Thanks for providing a different viewpoint.

I'll report a bug to AMD based on what you said.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom