Problem with Channel Combination using two DVB-S card, two dishes, one DiSEqC (1 Viewer)

Emil

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    MediaPortal Version: 1.2.3

I believe that MP dose exactly what it should do when it combining channels from multiples card. But for my configuration MP try to do too much.
    According to MP-Wiki: “If you have multiple cards of one and the same type (e.g. 2 DVB-S cards), channels found on both cards do not have to be combined because they are automatically treated as "virtually" combined and only appear once in every instance.” (http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/141_Configuration/TV-Server_Configuration/03_TV_Channels/1_Combinations

Description
    My problem is that I got two dishes and three LNB:s, the TV server got two DVB-S cards.
    -One dish is a “Nordic dish” where two LNB are fixed mounded. Those are pointed to Sirius and Thor, those goes through a DiSEqC to the first DVB-S card.
    - I just added a second dish with one LNB pointed to Thor. That is connected to the second DVB-S card.

Two LNB points to the same satellite (one from each dish); MP identify this and combine those but forgot it is different DiSEqC configurations. If I do a “Scan for Channels” on the fist card all channels will be DiSEqC Simple A, but if I do it on the second card all channel’s DiSEqC will show none.
    The LNB I am using on the second dish do not accept to have DiSEqC Simple A without any physical DiSEqC on the wire, and I do not think it is healthy for the LNB with such dirty configuration.
    It seems that MP does not take into account that the DiSEqC configuration could be different between cards and try to combine them.

Both DVB-S cards are the same model “Technotrend s2-3200” and I am using version 1.2.3.0 of MP. I do not include any logs because I believe that the symptom is expected.

Never or less I add this as a bug report, but personal I would put is as low priority as possible. I guess it is very few that will experiencing this. I realize that this can be a database design issues and I recommend you to do nothing just make a clarification in the manual (link above) of the limitation.

blueprint_over_the_htpc_installation.jpg

Steps to Reproduce:
    - Use two DVB-S cards
    - Configure the fist card through a DiSEqC=Simple A.
    - Configure the second card with DiSEqC=none
    Point them to the same satellite.
    The channels will be configurated according the DiSEqC setting of the last scann.
    I have solved this by putting a DiSEqC on the second dish's wire (I had one in spare), and now when both have the same DiSEqC configuration, Simple A, it works perfect (as always :) ).

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Emil

You are absolutely correct - this is a design limitation. Marking this thread as "will not fix" for the moment, but I will definitely consider this limitation in future DiSEqC reworks.
    Thanks for reporting! (y)

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom