Problem with hardware acceleration + VMR9 + Cyberlink PDVD8 codecs (1 Viewer)

jo16v

Portal Pro
August 23, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
TV-Server Version: 1.0 RC2
MediaPortal Version: 1.0 RC2
MediaPortal Skin: standard
Windows Version: XP Home SP3
CPU Type: AMD Athlon 64x2 5000
HDD: Seagate Barracuda
Memory: Corsair 2GB 800MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte MA78GM-S2H
Video Card: built in Ati HD3200
Video Card Driver: latest from Gigabyte (8.4 Catalyst)
Sound Card: Realtek
Sound Card AC3: Realtek HD
Sound Card Driver: latest from Gigabyte
1. TV Card: Hauppauge Nova HD S2
1. TV Card Type: Satellite
1. TV Card Driver: latest
MPEG2 Video Codec: Cyberlink PDVD8
MPEG2 Audio Codec: Cyberlink PDVD8
h.264 Video Codec: Cyberlink PDVD8
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case: Antec 2480
Cooling:
Power Supply: Antec
Remote: Hauppauge
TV: Acer
TV - HTPC Connection: VGA

Hi, I have managed to setup MP after a bit of trouble with server password (MediaPortal)- overall it looks great , much more impressive than DVBviewer.:D The only problem I am having is I cannot get Cyberlink PowerDVD8 Ultra codecs to work unless I turn hardware acceleration off using VMR9 renderer- if I turn it on I just get blank video with sound. On DVBviewer I have the Cyberlink codecs working using Overlay renderer + hardware acceleration which gives around 5% CPU usage.

I just tried switching it to VMR9 in DVBviewer- at first it did not work and gave the TV image in the top left corner with a load of random coloured lines + pixels in the rest 3/4 of the screen- I fixed this by selecting YUV mixing mode - this gives a good picture but with slightly increased CPU load - around 14% average. Is it possible to select YUV mixing mode in MP so these Cyberlink codecs can work with hardware acceleration?

:D

jo16v

Portal Pro
August 23, 2008
Home Country
It seems like many other people have a similar problem with hardware acceleration- can a developer confirm whether or not the VMR9 in MP has yuv mixing mode turned on by default (it doesn't seem to be a user settable option in MP)?

If yuv mixing mode is not enabled in MP, then maybe this is the reason that hardware acceleration does not work for so many people? If hardware acceleration is working in DVBviewer with Cyberlink MPEG2 and h.264 codecs and VMR9 renderer then presumably it should be possible to do get it working in MP?

jo16v

Portal Pro
August 23, 2008
Home Country
YUV mixing mode is turned on, unless it fails on some HW.
Thanks- so presumably that is not the reason for the hardware accel problem. Is there any way you can take a look at DVBviewer to see why hardware accel is working with the same settings (Cyberlink PDVD8ultra codecs + VMR9) that don't work in MP?

jo16v

Portal Pro
August 23, 2008
Home Country
i got powerdvd 8 codecs working with h/w acceleration on a 780g board using the catalyst 8.10 drivers and mp rc3

Can you confirm what 780g board you have and what version of Windows? What kind of CPU usage do you get with acceleration working?

crazyfool

Portal Pro
October 8, 2008
8.6 - 8.9 dont work but 8.10 does for me anyways... i have the abit 780g board and i get about 30% when watching a hd dvd

jo16v

Portal Pro
August 23, 2008
Home Country
8.6 - 8.9 dont work but 8.10 does for me anyways... i have the abit 780g board and i get about 30% when watching a hd dvd

What processor do you have? I get 5-15% with acceleration for 1080p/i h.264 and 1080p VC-1 with a 5000 64x2. Unaccelerated VC1 which I think is how HD-DVD is encoded uses about 30-40%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom