Problem with live tv or recordings -Drops frames for 5 seconds at random times (1 Viewer)

sorrowuk

Portal Pro
July 3, 2010
MediaPortal Version: 1.10 RC6
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: Windows 7
MPEG2 Video Codec: CyberLink Codec (PDVD10)
MPEG2 Audio Codec: CyberLink Codec (PDVD10)
h.264 Video Codec: CyberLink Codec (PDVD10)

If I'm watching a tv channel using my tuner it all works fine but then randomly the picture goes not smooth for like 5 seconds then its back to normal. It seems to drop frames during this time. This happens randomly its not like every 5 minutes its just a random interval.

It can't be the computer as I have a i3 530 processor which is surely enough power.

Anyone know any ideas what could cause it? Could it be the tv? or something set up wrong or know something I could try

fitto

Portal Pro
July 6, 2007
Barcelona
Re: Problem with watching TV - Randomly goes like slow motion.

Hi,

I experience something like this. Every once in a while, I can see severe frame-dropping for around 5 secs. Logs and shift-1 confirm serveral frames dropped for this short period of time.

The problem is that it happens so randomly it's almost impossible to troubleshoot. It might be once every 5 minutes or once every hour, you never know.

I could track down it only happens wiht live TV and it's not codec related. I'd say it's not TVserver related either, because when I see it, if I rewind, I watch it fine the second time. But I can't tell if it's OS, HW, drivers, MP, renderer, other processes interfering... It could be whatever... And I don't know how to troubleshoot as it's not reporoduceable.

Not helping much, I'm afraid, but at least you know you're not alone!

Regards

sorrowuk

Portal Pro
July 3, 2010
Re: Problem with watching TV - Randomly goes like slow motion.

Yeah thats exactly what mine is doing, its dropping frames randomly for about 5 seconds each time. It will play smooth for 10 minutes (a random length of time) then it will just drop lots of frames for a few seconds then back to smooth again.

How can I check my logs, where do I look on my computer and what do I look for in the logs?

Any idea what this could be or what I could try. It happens on my recorded tv programmes and live tv too. However its not the signal if I rewind a record tv programme after its just dropped frames and repeat that part it plays fine and smooth.

Ok I tried something and I dont seem to get anymore of these random dropped frames.

i went into mediaportal settings and then video render and set it to VMR9 instead of EVR.

Seems to have fixed the issue though haven't tested that much. fitto try that and see how it goes.

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    START - MediaPortal - Debug is where you go to gather your logs, or to open the debug tool to gather them after you demo the issue. I'll suggestyou bith update your User CP - My System so we know your setups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom