problem with my HDTV (dvi to HDMI) (1 Viewer)

Reies

Portal Member
February 3, 2005
San Joaquin Valley, California, USA
i connected my DVR with media portal to my HDTV via an DVI to HDMI cable. the problem i've came across is that when ever i turn off the tv, and turn it back on, there is nothing being displayed on the screen(hdmi port) sometimes if i change channels and go back to the HDMI input channel, it comes back up, but 9 times out of 10 it doesnt.

Has anyone came across this issue?

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Canberra
Home Country
Just out of curiousity are you turning off the TV or putting it into Standby? , i would have guessed that if you had it on HDMI input on the TV and you put it into standby when you geti back out of standby it shoudl stay on the same input?

Reies

Portal Member
February 3, 2005
no. its not standby, i just power off the tv, and power it back on and nothing displays in HDMI input. my current solution is switch between the inputs (a/v svideo, component) and back to HDMI i sometimes get the media portal display. but other times i dont.

Sounds like i'm going to have to swap my nvidia 6600 card with one that supports component cable....darn!

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Canberra
Home Country
cause i have a feeling that turning it off is why its defaulting back to those other inputs, what happens when you put the tv in standby instead, the other thing i heard that it wasn't good for tvs to turn them on and off each time and its best to put them in standby instead? can anyone else confirm this?

Nightmare77

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Canberra
Home Country
most tvs i have seen you can't do it unless you have the remote, because the button on the TV actually turns off the TV where as the button on the remote normally the power button when pressed turns the tv into standby mode but not totally off , so the LED on the tv probably will go from like Green when its working to say RED or orange when its in standby mode, then normally i think you just press that button again on the remote or change the channel up or down and the tv comes out of standby mode, sort of like hybernation on laptops, its not totally off , just waiting for you to return.

Reies

Portal Member
February 3, 2005
Eureka! i found a simple solution, set windows to turn off moniter, then you can turn off your tv, when you ready to resume normal tv watching, turn the TV back on, and hit a buttton on your remote to wake the "moniter" on. This will display MP on your screen.

enlight of this, i think i'm goign to purchase another 6600 card with component outputs.

Reies

Portal Member
February 3, 2005
NightmareRambo77 said:
most tvs i have seen you can't do it unless you have the remote, because the button on the TV actually turns off the TV where as the button on the remote normally the power button when pressed turns the tv into standby mode but not totally off , so the LED on the tv probably will go from like Green when its working to say RED or orange when its in standby mode, then normally i think you just press that button again on the remote or change the channel up or down and the tv comes out of standby mode, sort of like hybernation on laptops, its not totally off , just waiting for you to return.

i dont think my tv does that, the spec sheet states that it consumes less than a watt when turned off by the remote, and still plugged into the wall.

thanks for you input

Reies

Portal Member
February 3, 2005
Teaboy said:
I have the same problem.

What TV do you have out of interest?

Mine is the Sony E50A12U

its a philips 26PW9100D/37, i bought it for $450 at the philips online store, with free shipping. Not the best HDTV in the world, but within my price range.

26PW9100D_37_webImageFullSize.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom