problem with setting res on new LCD (1 Viewer)

pirlone

Portal Pro
October 21, 2005
Home Country
Croatia Croatia
hi all!

I have a noob question here and have to apologize in advance if answer is already around but i just couldn't find it.

I just got (finally) a new shiny LCD set - Philips 32PFL9632D - but can't find right resolution to set with my htpc. I hooked it to my nVidia 7600GS card with DVI/HDMI cable. LCD doesn't have dsub vga connector, but hdmi port supports comp resolutions through it (1280x720, 1360x765, up to 1920x1080p). Philips has native resolution of 1366x768.

What options for setting resolution I have here???

I tried to set 1360x765 but TV won't show the pic and says 'unsupported video format'. I can't select 1360x768 or 1366x768 in nVidia control panel. The closest I get is 1280x720p but now I have big black bars. What can I do to get as good picture as it gets?

tia,
pirlone

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Powerstrip seems to be everyones answer on this, when you do a search.

Actually looking for info on this, found out that the add custom resolution tab in nvidia control panel, is not available in Vista (nice one nvidia), so i cannot walk you through on that.

Make sure you set 60hz as the refresh rate

Nvidia assume that as soon as you connect a DVI cable to a HDTV, then you want HDTV resolutions which on mine make it blurry.

Darre

Portal Pro
    April 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I gave up and used 1360x768 in Vista.. In xp I managed to get 1366x768 with the help of power strip.

Anyhow if you are using xp you have hope, with vista its going to be hard making it work I think.

pirlone

Portal Pro
    October 21, 2005
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    tnx guys.

lucky me, i'm still using XP on my htpc so i'll try to play with powerstrip :)

Darre: how did you solve this resolution mess in Vista? 1280x720 or higher?

rgs,
    pirlone

pirlone

Portal Pro
    October 21, 2005
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    i solved my probs with resolution. :)

firstly, i searched for solution with powerstrip. i couldn't find exact settings for my tv set and didn't want to experiment too much with such complicated thing without any previous expirience. didn't want to fry my gpu or tv. this powerstrip thing is too much hit&miss for me.

next, i searched for new nvidia drivers for my fanless N7600GS SILENT/HTD/256M. didn't update the drivers since htpc installation, and that was back in 2006. downloaded new 169.21 drivers (169.21_forceware_winxp_32bit_english_whql) and voila - there was a setting in nvidia control panel to add custom resolutions! i added manually 1360x768 since that is the resolution my tv set supports and that was it. now i have as closest full res on my LCD as it gets.

hope this info will help some other noob like me ;)

rgs,
    pirlone

mascot

Portal Pro
    November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Can anyone help me out with settings up two new refreshrates in powerstrip...?? I just can't understand how it works...

I have set 1365x768 @ 60 hz perfectly and it pixelmaps 1:1 with my plasma.

But now I need same resolution in 24 hz multipel (preferably 72 hz) and 50 or 100 hz aswell.. but I just dont get the timings right. I'm also confused about how powerstrip saves its settings and uses on startup, also if I get conflict with ati catalyst running at trhe same time, because now powerstrip still shows 1920x1080 but the screen is indeed set to 1365x768 (icons are bigger not smalll, I'm not blind... ;)) However ati catalyst shows 1365x768.

Should I completely uninstall catalyst and only use powerstrip? How does the refresh rate work in powerstrip? I set iy to 24 hz vertical but I got 31 hz refreshrate and reclock didnt sync (cinema mode) on 24 fps material at all..

Also sometimes my plasma seems to have some problems with sync. If I change input to nintendo wii (1) or set top box (3) and then back to HTPC hdmi input(4) I get a black picture and have to reboot to get picture again... (but then in works fine and picture is great.)

Appreciate all help.. :)

trxpon

May 15, 2008
    RE: problem with setting res on new LCD!!

Hi, I certainly agree with you. Your advice is really very helpful for us.

Thanks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom