[confirm] Problem with Timeshift on Ramdisk (1 Viewer)

jimbeam128

Portal Pro
December 16, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
MediaPortal Version: 1.1. RC1
MediaPortal Skin: blue3 wide
Windows Version: win xp sp3
CPU Type: amd dual core
HDD: SATA 2 500 GB
Memory: 2 GB DDR2
Motherboard:
Video Card:
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card:
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

Hi all,

I just installed Mediaportal 1.1 RC1. Before I used timeshift on a ramdisk as adviced in the "tips and tricks" to "silent" my HardDisk. In 1.0.2 it worked well. I configured it for 4 files with 300 MB on 1300 MB ramdisk. No Problems. So this should be enough. When I let TV run for app. 30 Minutes and then switch the channel, TV stops and MediaPortal tells me "there is not enough space". I know, this message should be clear, but on MP 1.0.2 exactely the same config worked well. When I change Timeshift folder on HDD there is no problem with channel change.

Did anyone experience something like that? Maybe does MediaPortal require more additional space?

STuNZ

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 25, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Same thing here. 3 files of 100MB on a 500MB Ramdisk sometimes gives a not enough space.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I haven't tried MP 1.1.0 yet, but remember that the timeshift buffer allowance is per-tuner, so it is possible to run out of space with two tuners and 3 x 100MB per tuner on a 500MB ramdisk.

I don't think MP 1.0.2 checks in advance, so TV will just hang/freeze if it runs out of space (I've seen it happen with my ramdisk) - presumably 1.1.0 checks the free space in advance (and it may have other changes in the way it manages the buffers).

Tony

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Hi,

There has been some discussion in the team forum about this over the last few days.

The short answer is that you actually need double the 'expected' amount of space for this to work. I am not a developer, so I don't fully understand the reasons for this. However, if there are good technical reasons for it working this way, then I don't expect it to change.

Since memory cards are cheap these days, why not get an 8GB or 16GB USB flash drive and connect it internally to a USB header on your motherboard. This would be cheaper that using RAM and should be fast enough for your needs.

Best wishes,

Mark

jimbeam128

Portal Pro
    December 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I also thought on something like that. So I only used Timeshift and Ramdisk for my TV Card. The rest I´ve placed on the HDD. And I had the same Issue....

elliottmc: OK, but why did it work in 1.0.2 and what´s the reason for that change? Would be nice to know. Nowhere is documented that you have to use twice the space of the space...

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    @elliottmc: OK, but why did it work in 1.0.2 and what´s the reason for that change? Would be nice to know. Nowhere is documented that you have to use twice the space of the space...
    See:
    I don't think MP 1.0.2 checks in advance, so TV will just hang/freeze if it runs out of space (I've seen it happen with my ramdisk) - presumably 1.1.0 checks the free space in advance

Marvman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Bavaria
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I also thought on something like that. So I only used Timeshift and Ramdisk for my TV Card. The rest I´ve placed on the HDD. And I had the same Issue....

@elliottmc: OK, but why did it work in 1.0.2 and what´s the reason for that change? Would be nice to know. Nowhere is documented that you have to use twice the space of the space...

Hi Jim, as elliottmc said, its under discussion at the moment until then be patient please. :D

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    I'm not sure how advisable it would be to use a USB drive for the Timeshift files as the constant writing could wear it out. At least that's the main reason I'm aware of why it's not advised to run XP from a USB drive.

CHli

Portal Pro
    July 5, 2005
    Switzerland
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    For the price you can find them now you could just replace the usb drive as soon as it stops working :D

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    For the price you can find them now you could just replace the usb drive as soon as it stops working :D

As long as you remember that some USB disks have "delays" / "freezes". So TV could stutter because of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom