Problems with current BASS-Engine (MP1.1beta) - How to update BASS-Engine? (1 Viewer)

fmulders

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 3, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Re: AW: Problems with current BASS-Engine (MP1.1beta) - How to update BASS-Engine?

The problem has something to do with timing. You can find details in the forum of the BASS group.
    Some hardware can not keep up with the narrow timings used in MP.
    I had the same problem with my older motherboard with onboard AC97 sound via SPDIF.

I upgraded to a new motherboard with the newer AC899 onboard soundchip. Problem solved.

To solve this for older hardware, the MP development team should build a possibility to set the timings for SPDIF.

relyt

March 28, 2010
    try it.
    the only dependency which you can/must NOT replace is Bass.Net.
    using a new Bass.dll might work, provided that there were no changes in the interface itself.
    though i doubt that replacing the dll only will solve your problem.

Well, actually it helped. I downloaded bass2.4.zip from the link on first page and replaced bass.dll in MP folder. I'm not sure if this makes any sence, but looks like noises are gone, but need to test it more.
    PS. Yes, i have the same problem as everyone here.

knuppel

Portal Member
    July 15, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Re: AW: Problems with current BASS-Engine (MP1.1beta) - How to update BASS-Engine?

I can confirm rmeredits solutions. BASS engine causes the same problems on my htpc (crackles etc.). The internal player causes cracks at the start of every title. My only working solution is upmix to 5.1/7.1 at the moment. But I really prefer music in stereo. :(

Skyliner have you found a solution for your problem? Because i am experiecing the same issue.
    Internal player helps a bit, but still crackles sometimes.
    Playing over ATI 3200 onboard HDMI.

skyliner2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2008
    near munich
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Problems with current BASS-Engine (MP1.1beta) - How to update BASS-Engine?

No, sorry. No solution yet except upmixing to 5.1/7.1 :confused:

knuppel

Portal Member
    July 15, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands

No, sorry. No solution yet except upmixing to 5.1/7.1 :confused:

Skyliner, installing ASIO4ALL and using it with PureAudio has solved my problem.

skyliner2

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2008
    near munich
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Problems with current BASS-Engine (MP1.1beta) - How to update BASS-Engine?

Thanks, i know about this workaround. But I like the features of BASS engine... :( Hmmm, guess I'll wait for another bugfix.

Chris

zappeke

Portal Member
    May 19, 2005
    Herent, Belgium
    Is still no solution available for this ? I recently installed 1.1.0 final but it's still an issue...
    Sad that such a basic function of a mediacenter doesn't work :( It makes MP quite unusable i regret

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Is still no solution available for this ? I recently installed 1.1.0 final but it's still an issue...
    Sad that such a basic function of a mediacenter doesn't work :( It makes MP quite unusable i regret
    It does work... this seems hardware related and things are working for me pretty well. So there is a solution (buying a new soundcard) but this is not really a good solution.

Can anyone with this issue list the soundcard they are using

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    There's also a tool to check the DPC Latency: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7526263/Appz/dpclat.exe

High DPC Latencies will cause clicks and pops in audio output. This is a good way to figure out programming problems from hardware problems. Laptops are especially prone to high DPC Latency.

Deferred Procedure Calls are basically a mechanism with which Windows handles interrupt servicing. As you might know interrupts are a mechanism with which devices can proactively signal they need attention from the processor - e.g. data is available. IRQ lines (Interrupt ReQuest) are the hardware mechanism that supports this.

Hundreds or thousands of interrupts are occuring every second within a PC. Windows needs to manage and prioritise these - critical interrupts might be handled in full immediately, whereas lower priority requests will be queued - and this is where DPCs come in. Windows will acknlowledge the interrupt and queue it - and come back to actually do something about it later.

An interrupt from an audio interface (to say there is some audio data available) isn't considered critical. The driver uses the DPC mechanism in Windows along with most other devices. So even if the audio interface needs data for its buffer (for output) or has data avaialble in its buffer (for input) the actual audio driver code that will move this data isn't actually invoked till Windows gets round to processing the relevant DPC item on the queue.

This is where problems can occur. Windows will process other things ahead in the queue before servicing the audio request. If (other) drivers are badly implemented they can use too much processing time delaying processing of our audio request (our audio driver can also use too much time). Clearly as audio is time critical if there is too much of a delay before data transfer occurs the audio buffer may empty (output) or overflow (input) - therefore audible pops and clicks occur. Obviously this is why having a bigger buffer helps.

The DPC latency tool just measures how much time is being spent servicing DPCs - i.e. how long all the drivers are actually taking to do their required DPC processing. Obviously we want a low as possible value which indicates all the drivers are well written and efficient - the lower the value the less likelihood that they'll prevent timely audio data transfer and the better chance of being able to use smaller buffer sizes for lower latency without pops and clicks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom