Problems with Fast Forward and Rewind. (1 Viewer)

elsmandino

Portal Pro
March 3, 2011
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am loving Mediaportal but for one thing - the ability to fast forward and rewind is really poor. I can fast forward up to 4 x on recorded TV but any more than that just seems really awkward. Rewinding anything is worse - live TV or any recordings at any speed.

I can live with it, as I use skipping instead, but the girlfriend is not happy. She was used to the ability to properly rewind, fastforward everything with Media Centre and now she want this back!

I love Mediaportal all but for this one problem - is there any way I can improve things? e.g. change of codec etc.

I would be grateful for your help because if I can improve this, my other half will be more likely to accept Mediaportal (at the moment, she is a bit fed up with my constantly tweaking settings).

Thanks v much.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    skip steps tend to work a lot better (right or left on remote)
    Once you get used to it then it is actually better than fast forward / rewind if you want to skip adverts as you just select three or four minutes (four is not a default skip step though) and you generally get almost straight to the next part.

crazyfool

Portal Pro
    October 8, 2008
    Yh I noticed that recently after upgrading to 1.1 alpha that fast forward and rewind is more like a slideshow, whereas before it wasn't very smooth. Although I have also just got used to using skip. I don't know of any fix for that issue tho

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    In the back of my mind I have it that this has always been the case and in older versions of MP there was something like fast forwarding would never go faster than 2x (even though it was reported as going faster). Also IIRC the fast forwarding of video is dependant on the codec in use. Finally I think there is something in the design of MP that makes this very difficult without a massive rewrite (which is not going to happen whilst MP2 is being gestated)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom