Problems with streaming over internet (1 Viewer)

VWnut8392

Portal Member
January 22, 2017
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have media portal setup to stream in kodi, im running the newest versions of medial portal and kodi along with the kodi plugins on both ends. when i test with kodi on the same network with either a non server PC or my android phone it will play live TV, load the EPG and everything works pretty much perfect. when i try to connect over my data on my cell phone or on a different connection over the internet it will load all channels and load the EPG but when i try to get it to actually stream live TV it just says "working" in the bottom corner of kodi and than stops after about 45 seconds and doesnt load anything. i have tried both FFMPEG & TSREADER in the kodi plugin configuration and neither setting will load live TV. i have no idea what check or change next to get it streaming online, can anyone here point me in the right direction?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome

In short, I suspect you'll need to apply a bunch of router and firewall configuration. I'm not able to give you specific details of what's required. You're probably better to ask this question over on the KODI forum.

Regards,
    mm

VWnut8392

Portal Member
    January 22, 2017
    Home Country
    i have the IP for the computer that is running media portal set in the DMZ for testing so everything should pass through the firewall fine.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    How have you configured the IP address setting in TV Server Configuration -> streaming server?
    Streaming Server - MediaPortal 1 - MediaPortal Wiki

If it is "auto", "192.168.*.*", "10.6.*.*" or similar, that's probably the reason it won't work. I say it won't work because a client that isn't on your local network won't be able to resolve/reach the address of the streaming server. 192.168.*.* etc. addresses are only resolvable/reachable from inside your local network. You'll need to enter your hostname or static IP address that can be resolved from the internet.

VWnut8392

Portal Member
    January 22, 2017
    Home Country
    Thats how i have it setup. the IP i have input into the kodi plugin is the one assigned by the local ISP. in my router i have the ip address for the PC that is running media portal in the DMZ option so that should allow all data from that PC to pass through the router to the internet freely without anything being blocked. like i said, kodi will fetch the current EPG from the server but will not play any video outside of the network. being able to fetch the EPG incdicates to me that i am making a connection to media portal remotely. can i private message you mm1352000? i will give you the exact IP and all the info so you can test it for yourself to see what it does.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    being able to fetch the EPG incdicates to me that i am making a connection to media portal remotely.
    Yes and no.
    There are at least 3 connections between a client and server:
    1. command + control (.NET remoting)
    2. database
    3. streaming
    All 3 connections have to be configured and working correctly in order for a client to fully function.
    The fact that your EPG is showing indicates that the first two connections are working.
    The fact that streaming is not working indicates that the third connection is not working.

the IP i have input into the kodi plugin is the one assigned by the local ISP.
    That's all well and good for the command + control and database connections, but it's irrelevant for the streaming connection. Like I said in my previous reply: you need to look at the settings in TV Server Configuration -> streaming server.

in my router i have the ip address for the PC that is running media portal in the DMZ option so that should allow all data from that PC to pass through the router to the internet freely without anything being blocked.
    Again, that's all well and good, but there's more that you have to take care of.

TV Server sends the streaming URL to the client. That streaming URL is constructed based on the TV Server Configuration -> streaming server -> IP address and port settings. If those settings are not appropriate/correct, you'll find that TV Server will be sending the client a streaming address that is only accessible inside the local network. Nothing you do within the router settings could fix that.

Another thing you need to be aware of...
    The streaming connection uses the configured port for controlling streaming (RTSP SETUP, PLAY and TEARDOWN commands over a TCP connection). However it also uses RTP (UDP connection) over random ephemeral ports for sending the actual streaming data (video, audio etc.) to the client. If your ISP, cell network or router block outgoing (server -> client) UDP traffic in the ephemeral port range, you're screwed.

can i private message you mm1352000?
    No, not at this stage. I'd like you to check the TV Server Configuration -> streaming server setting yourself first. To have any chance of working, you must be able to connect to the streaming server (IP address and port must be accessible) from the outside. In my opinion you're in the best position to check that.

VWnut8392

Portal Member
    January 22, 2017
    Home Country
    In the streaming server setting everything is default like the port number and the IP address displayed at the top is the IP of the PC.

VWnut8392

Portal Member
    January 22, 2017
    Home Country
    now when i try to connect with the mediaportal front end it give me an error that says all ports are fine but cannot connect to database.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    In the streaming server setting everything is default
    Then that explains why it won't work.

and the IP address displayed at the top is the IP of the PC.
    As I've tried to explain several times now, that IP address has to be accessible from the internet. It can't be the IP address of the PC within the local network (ie. it can't be 192.168... or 10.6...).

VWnut8392

Portal Member
    January 22, 2017
    Home Country
    i dont understand. there is only 2 options in that IP address and its either the boxes IP or auto. when on auto nothing works, not even the same PC's trying to access with the mediaportal front end. so your saying this IP has to be the IP assigned by the ISP? how do i get that into that drop down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom