Progress bar while MP is working (1 Viewer)

NeoLuddite

Portal Member
September 6, 2006
Boston, Massachusetts
I agree it would be hard to determine that progress made no certain things but even something as simple as this animated gif i just made would do the job and let people know that it is in the works.

Waiting.gif

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I agree it would be hard to determine that progress made no certain things but even something as simple as this animated gif i just made would do the job and let people know that it is in the works.

Waiting.gif

The GIF you show above is no different from the current spinning wheeel we have now.

I say just keep the animated wheel we have but allow for background checking of initial connection progress for stream (audio and video) and also for internet connection. I think that would help out immensely for user understanding if there could be "connection" issues.

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    ...and for access to large folders or large databases

better yet, pop the cursor independently when a process takes long to return
    (I am not sure of the internal workings of the core engine though to know if this is even remotely possible)

zag2me

Portal Pro
    April 11, 2006
    Home Country
    England England

Waiting.gif

Prefer this much more than the circle.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country

Waiting.gif

Prefer this much more than the circle.

To be clear and honest, I don't care what animation/graphic is being displayed, I don't think it matters if it is a circle or a line. I would just like to see some additional information (along the lines of what I said earlier) to indicate why the user needs to wait.

I asked if it is possible to show the text "connecting" or "buffering" hovering over the top or just below the animation? I think adding the code to determine what state is and then to display it would be a great help in not having to answer problems realted to slow internet connections which are brought up in the forums. Like I said, WMP10 shows these states in the status area at the bottom. So it is possible.

knutinh

Portal Pro
    September 4, 2005
    Any method showing that MP is :
    1) Actually awake
    2) Patiently chewing on my request

Would be greatly appreciated. I find my girlfriend doing the ctrl-alt-del whenever MP use more than a few seconds to process anything. I couldnt care less how it actually look (other than a progress bar of course would be better that a "processing" symbol).

Best regards and keep up the good work.

-k

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Two of these requests are possible already, as long as you have some simple image editing software.
    Take a look in the media directory of your chosen skin and you can see the graphics for the circle. Shouldn't be too hard to replace each one with part of a bar graph or whatever else takes your fancy. Should also be very easy to just superimpose a word over exactly the same spot on each one too. Even MS paint should be able to do that...

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    Two of these requests are possible already, as long as you have some simple image editing software.
    Take a look in the media directory of your chosen skin and you can see the graphics for the circle. Shouldn't be too hard to replace each one with part of a bar graph or whatever else takes your fancy. Should also be very easy to just superimpose a word over exactly the same spot on each one too. Even MS paint should be able to do that...

Thanks Marcusb - But adding text with a graphic editor will not allow for internationalization. Plus there maybe other status comments, other than "connecting" or "buffering" which need to be displayed.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    but if it is something that you want now, then this is better than waiting until MP NG is available.

true, you can't have different words or localisation, but if it is something you are editing just for yourself then internationalisation isn't needed.
    And so far "Buffering" will suit for most cases

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
    December 7, 2004
    United Kingdom
    The graphic can easily be replaced with a bar style one as above or whichever style you wish, its simply a frame animation.

As to adding text, urgghhh don't like the sound of that... next thing will be text doesn't show up on the screen so good so lets put a background to it and before you know it we got big old popups showing everytime something happens; that said depends upon the context in which the wait cursor is needed.

Personally I like the current design as its simple, indicating that something is happening and for a non-graphic guy doesn't look too bad hehe. Naturally I would like it since I drew the graphics and wrote the code for the existing wait cursor :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom