Progress: MP 2 development status - 2010-11-15 (1 Viewer)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Even if the TV-part is new to Albert, it does not mean that it is new to the team ;)

Other devs have been fiddling with improving the TV part with MP2 in mind. Even though I am rather clueless regarding the subjects being discussed, I'd say that internal discussion regarding MP2's TV development seems to be very productive.

Not going to say that TVE3/TVServer for MP1 is perfect, but for most people it seems to work very good. We are aware of both limitations and areas that might be improved. This experience is of course taken into consideration when developing the TV section for MP2. Combined with excellent devs and teamwork, I am confident that MP2's TV-section will be on level or better than most other apps out there :).

toga67

Portal Pro
    October 15, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Re: AW: Progress: MP 2 development status - 2010-11-15

@toga67
    i wouldn't want that and hope that this will not happen! As DVBViewer isn't OpenSource and everybody has to rely on their doings.

i know that DVBViewer is not open source. Perhaps it is possible to use it via a plugin. So everybody would have the chance to decide what he wants.
    In my opinion is the TV part a very vey difficult part and if the developers have no experience in building a TV engine MP 2 could fail. If you read the forum you can see that a lot of people are not satisfied with the current stability of the TV part.
    I do not want to criticise the developers but it is for sure quite difficult to develop a TV engine in their part time.

I never used dvbviewer, so what does work better in dvbviewer? I might just install it to see what could be improved for the tv engine of MP2.

Hi,
    in my opinion the difference is very little. the problem is that the TV engine of MP1 is not very stable and bugfree. For example please read this thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/tv-streaming-480/live-tv-ruckelt-86318/
    Another problem which decreases the WAF is the zapping speed in MP1. Windows 7 Media Center and DVBViewer are twice as fast in switching channels. And if i reduce the "Zap delay" parameter i get from time to time the message "Timeshift konnte nicht gestartet werden". the zapping speed and the random error message is the main reason why i do not use MP1 anymore for my "productive" htpc. Sadly that i had to switch to Windows 7 Media Center. It was very hard for me because i "love" MP.

Another reason is why i have suggested to user DVBViewer as the TV engine is the saving of time. I think the developing of a new TV engine will be very time consuming. So i think a MP2 version with TV will not be ready before end of next year.

Just my 2 cents.

Thomas

Even if the TV-part is new to Albert, it does not mean that it is new to the team ;)

Other devs have been fiddling with improving the TV part with MP2 in mind. Even though I am rather clueless regarding the subjects being discussed, I'd say that internal discussion regarding MP2's TV development seems to be very productive.

Not going to say that TVE3/TVServer for MP1 is perfect, but for most people it seems to work very good. We are aware of both limitations and areas that might be improved. This experience is of course taken into consideration when developing the TV section for MP2. Combined with excellent devs and teamwork, I am confident that MP2's TV-section will be on level or better than most other apps out there :).

of course you are completely right with your conclusion "Combined with excellent devs and teamwork, I am confident that MP2's TV-section will be on level or better than most other apps out there ". But i am afraid that it will need a lot of time until it is finished. And i can´t await MP2 with TV.:)

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: AW: Progress: MP 2 development status - 2010-11-15

But i am afraid that it will need a lot of time until it is finished. And i can´t await MP2 with TV.:)
    Of course it will take a lot of time. That the price for a well designed and flexible solution, but even better than hacking around and integrate other things which will result in limitations which you have to live with on the long run.

So stay tuned until we have more infos about TV related MP2 things.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Re: AW: Progress: MP 2 development status - 2010-11-15

the problem is that the TV engine of MP1 is not very stable and bugfree. For example please read this thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/tv-streaming-480/live-tv-ruckelt-86318/

If there is bug(s) then those can be only fixed if people make proper bug reports. I (and most of the team) wont be even able to read non-English text, so that thread is quite mystery for me at least :)

Another problem which decreases the WAF is the zapping speed in MP1. Windows 7 Media Center and DVBViewer are twice as fast in switching channels. And if i reduce the "Zap delay" parameter i get from time to time the message "Timeshift konnte nicht gestartet werden". the zapping speed and the random error message is the main reason why i do not use MP1 anymore for my "productive" htpc.

Again, sounds like a bug (zapping is not slow on most of the systems). Please creat an error report about the issue.

Another reason is why i have suggested to user DVBViewer as the TV engine is the saving of time. I think the developing of a new TV engine will be very time consuming. So i think a MP2 version with TV will not be ready before end of next year.

Wont happen, because:

• Both MP1 and MP2 are free, we cannot force people to buy some 3rd party application to gain some basic functionality like tv
    • DVBViewer is just an application, not something that can be seamlesly integrated into the DirectX based application
    • Using DVBViewer would be quite odd, since we would be just generating revenue for a 3rd party application that we don't have any connection on personal level. Isn't it enough that we give the work for free? You are asking that we should even generate some revenue for some "unknown" people.

In any case this is getting of topic, please continue the TVE3 related discussion in some other threads (preferably few new bug reports are created). And in any case, anyone is free to create a plugin for MP1/MP2 that uses DVBViewer :)

FreakyJ

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Progress: MP 2 development status - 2010-11-15

Due to my opinion MP1 TV Engine is not perfect, but most of the time it works absolutely grate for me! Since the last official release there is nothing to complain about.
    I used the windows media center quite a long time (after I used the Terratec program) and yes the Tv worked well, but not better than in MP1.
    The Terratec program also has bugs. e.g. video and audio are getting out of sync sometimes or it doesn't find all channels and so on... even the CI Menu didn't worked perfect with there own Tv Card...

toga67
    You will never find a perfect solution and you have to decide what is the best for you. You can provide improvement suggestions or offer new ideas to the team or even improve MP by your self. This is one of the greatest features of MP, but with a third party app (like DVBViewer) this all would be gone.

I really honor all the work of the team and they do this for free, so I think it is unfair just to complain and say "your work isn't good enough, take it from somebody else".
    A better solution would be to say "hey, there is something not working, what can we do to improve this?"

MP2 looks really cool and has much possibilities, but as the devs told: good work needs time and MP1 is doing it's job well so far and gets improved every day ;) It would be something different without MP1 running, but under this circumstances we can wait for MP2 and let the devs make the job right^^

I hope I wasn't unfair with my post to somebody... I just wanted to honor the work of the devs ;)

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
    January 21, 2010
    Braunschweig
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Progress: MP 2 development status - 2010-11-15

I think the way things go is quite right. MP1 is getting better and better (I use it since one year now) and it is working very good for me.

The point with MP2 is to not have all those MP1 like problems that changing some code here might result in a problem there (hope you know what I mean) and therefor it is very very important to get MP2's foundation working well and then program some plug-ins to put on top of that.
    So if there will be a version of MP2 it will be fine to have a look at even if it can't show tv (we are still talking about an ALPHA version by the way).
    As long as MP1 does a good job and is still getting some better I can wait for MP2 even maybe more than a year and in the end there will be a great MP2 having little problems right from beginning on. That is the reason why waiting for MP2 is alright other than pushing it through to have all features enabled but also a huge bunch of bugs, too.

So team, just go on, take your time and MP2 will become really awesome. I am already looking foreward to get a running version of MP2 just to take a look at it.

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Progress: MP 2 development status - 2010-11-15

Will MP2 come with an integrated web interface? That would be awesome!

-Tracy

Yes, you're right, that would be very nice.

The plan is to have only very few plugins in the standard configuration, the default players, the media navigation, TV (when we have it), the default media providers etc.
    So a web interface will probably not be contained in the standard configuration. But I think there will be some web interfaces available as plugins: Client control (playlists, players etc.), server control (media library overview, access of TV media provider etc.), client + server settings, ...

We don't know yet how we will organize the plugins thing. But I think there will be some area on our website where plugins can be downloaded, or we just provide a plugin overview for the GUI of MP2.

Chimen

Portal Pro
    July 11, 2005
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Will MP2 support master volume change? In MP1 you can't control the master volume inside MP (Vista, W7), just the application volume. Would be great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom