[TV] Proposal For New TV Features (1 Viewer)

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Started on: 2014-01-24
    last update: 2014-01-24

Summary:

Area: TV

Description: Since TVE3.5. is in active delelopment I'd like to suggest some tv pluugin/server features missing in TVE3 until it will be late to implement.
    1. Scanning in GUI (mm already said it will be there)
    2. Channel Manager in GUI (add, edit, delete, rename, move to group, add, delete, edit groups, rearrange channel list)
    3. Ability to interact with tv server plugins inside MP GUI i.e. configure WebEPG, xmltv in Mediaportal
    4. Easier and intuitive managment of xmltv
    5. Autoscanning channels on idle / on schedule
    6. Autoupdating channel list from url (for IPTV)
    7. Extended playlist parsing (downloading jtv/xmltv epg from link, logos etc)
    8. Ability to kill/restart tv service if it's local
    Thanks!

peram1

Portal Member
    July 4, 2011
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    How often do you need these ??? your functions 1-7 I use once every 6-12 months or even less!!!
    so I'd really prefer the team invests in core funtionality and STABILITY of tv-server instead of GUI Gimmicks ...
    (still missing a bullet proof, fault tolerant TV-server, a somehow usable Titan skin editor which obviously is "extremley hard" to develop, a Myfilms update for 1.6 ... and lot of other things which are bread & butter)

MP is by far still not usable without configuring a lot of things manually without any GUI - if you don't know how to do this or do not want to do this you'd rather stay with your off the shelf TV-tuner ...
    Peter

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    hehe you're talking about concentrating on core feature and give Titan Editor and MyFilms as examples :D

peram1

Portal Member
    July 4, 2011
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    edalex:
    FIRST of all I am talking about a STABLE, bullet proof TV Server ... core feature in my opinion!
    just look through the hundreds of TV related issues in the forum and you'll understand why !
    SECOND I am talking about finishing things that have been started giving two examples ... there are many more ...

don't get me wrong: I like MP - however having limited resources: focus is key !

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Edalex

Just a quick response as I am pressed for time...

1. Scanning in GUI (mm already said it will be there)
    No. I will make it possible to do this. It might not be possible in the first release. Somebody else will need to do the work to implement the GUI.

2. Channel Manager in GUI (add, edit, delete, rename, move to group, add, delete, edit groups, rearrange channel list)
    This should be possible already if somebody took the time to create a GUI. As a rule anything that is possible in TV Server configuration should now be possible in MP because TV Server configuration can now run on a remote machine.

3. Ability to interact with tv server plugins inside MP GUI i.e. configure WebEPG, xmltv in Mediaportal
    You ask a lot there. That would be very low on my priority list.

Specific details required. It seems quite intuitive to me already.

5. Autoscanning channels on idle / on schedule
    It is on the "nice to have" list in my head. No timeframe.

6. Autoupdating channel list from url (for IPTV)
    Maybe... however, for TV Server a URL isn't sufficient to receive an IPTV channel. The DVB service details are needed, hence the reason for scanning.

Don't really understand.

8. Ability to kill/restart tv service if it's local
    From within the MP GUI? I'd generally be against this. The point is that the TV service should not need to be restarted or killed if it is stable. ;)

mm

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    FIRST of all I am talking about a STABLE, bullet proof TV Server ... core feature in my opinion!
    just look through the hundreds of TV related issues in the forum and you'll understand why !
    From the way you talk about TV Server it sounds like you've had a bad experience, but there is not much to go on in your previous posts. Would you care to describe what you think needs the most improvement/work?

SECOND I am talking about finishing things that have been started giving two examples ... there are many more ...
    The two examples you gave have nothing to do with TV Server. Not saying they're not important. Just that from my perspective I'm unlikely to spend any time on them. This is the way the team works. We mostly focus on the things we are good at and/or know about. For the people working on TV (like me), we mostly stick to TV. Further, MyFilms is a plugin - if you want an update to MyFilms then you need to speak to the people that work on MyFilms.

Is there anything about TV/radio that you think has been started but not finished?

don't get me wrong: I like MP - however having limited resources: focus is key !
    I agree. Focus is important. :)

mm

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Don't really understand
    my provider's playlist has such properties as
    #EXTM3U url-tvg="http://www.teleguide.info/download/new3/jtv.zip m3uautoload=1 cache=2000 deinterlace=8 aspect-ratio=4:3 crop=695x550+20+20
    #EXTINF:-1 tvg-name="1TV" group-title="Обществено-политические" tvg-shift="+4", Первый
    none part of this info is not supported in TVE now
    Edalex said: ↑
    I'm not using xmltv for EPG but it looks like they need some bat files, scheduling external app in windows scheduler etc. All this should be done by tvserver.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    my provider's playlist has such properties as
    #EXTM3U url-tvg="http://www.teleguide.info/download/new3/jtv.zip m3uautoload=1 cache=2000 deinterlace=8 aspect-ratio=4:3 crop=695x550+20+20
    #EXTINF:-1 tvg-name="1TV" group-title="Обществено-политические" tvg-shift="+4", Первый
    none part of this info is not supported in TVE now
    As far as I know this is all non-standard... or do you have a link to a standard for these details? Also, what format are these ndx and pdt files?

Edalex said: ↑
    I'm not using xmltv for EPG but it looks like they need some bat files, scheduling external app in windows scheduler etc. All this should be done by tvserver.
    This is only required if you use an external program to generate the file. If you only download the file then none of that is required.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I would like to be able to grab EPG from GUI when the scheduled grab somehow has failed. Having to close MePo, launch TV Config and re-grab from there is a nuisance, and I'm surprised it's not in MePo already. And more importantly, it's not at all WAF. :)

Am I wrong, or wasn't there a time when you could just hit F9/Info in the TV-Guide and choose "grab now"?
    Emph

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom