PROPOSAL - Simplifying skin file installation for plugins (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Current MPEM's approaches (using NuGet or Wix to manage packages) are not suitable for skins as we found out here https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...t-info-testversion.119068/page-5#post-1011887
    I don't understand that from your post. I suggest you raise the point more clearly again by asking a more pointed question. For example:
    Is the MPEM being designed to handle updates for skins and logos?
    If yes, how will it work.
    If no, why not.

So you are coding MPEI replacement which can't do what it needs too.
    I'm not doing anything of the sort. ;)
    To me this is a disappointing situation. Personally I have no time to invest in this problem but if you have ideas and you think MPEM is going in the wrong direction then please don't just stand by and let it happen - say something! If it were me trying to solve this problem, the last thing I want is a result that is unsatisfying, doesn't cover all the use cases and is not future proof for MP2.

Last edited:

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well, if I understand it correctly, MPEM is a separate program rather than a built-in plugin management.

I think this is possibly the wrong approach, but similar to what we have at the moment. I think we need all plugin management to be built-into MP, but that's only my opinion.

As I've thought more about this, ensuring that the skin files for a plugin are installed is a smaller task and while it could potentially be handled by MPEI/MPEM, it is probably better as a discrete section of code in MP.

To me, the important thing is that it happens, and if we can get a working solution in time for 1.6.0, then it doesn't matter whether it is MPEM or an enhancement to MP.

Maybe I am right, maybe I am wrong, but what we have right now is far from ideal, so something that fixes all of the problems is needed. There are multiple ways to solve the problem, and any one of them done well will be great.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Well, if I understand it correctly, MPEM is a separate program rather than a built-in plugin management.
    Yes, this is true... however I think the framework behind it is more important than the interface. If the back end is well designed then a front end can be ported into the MP1 GUI and forward into MP2. In other words, it is all about the design for me. That is what all the discussion about Wix, Nuget etc. is about in the MPEM thread.

I think this is possibly the wrong approach, but similar to what we have at the moment. I think we need all plugin management to be built-into MP, but that's only my opinion.
    I don't disagree, but as above: to me the mechanics are more interesting than the GUI.

As I've thought more about this, ensuring that the skin files for a plugin are installed is a smaller task and while it could potentially be handled by MPEI/MPEM, it is probably better as a discrete section of code in MP.

To me, the important thing is that it happens, and if we can get a working solution in time for 1.6.0, then it doesn't matter whether it is MPEM or an enhancement to MP.
    It seems like I might be coming from a different point of view: I'm interested in doing it right and I don't care how long it takes. I think it is unlikely that a really good all-encompassing solution of the kind that I'm expecting (read: hoping) MPEM will produce could be prepared for MP 1.6.

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    if you have ideas and you think MPEM is going in the wrong direction then please don't just stand by and let it happen - say something!
    i don't think MPEM is going in wrong direction. I can't understnd why it is going anywhere. I just don't understand how rewrting something from scratch could be better that fixing several problems (uac, version control). Maybe it's becaube I'm not professional in it. And it is not about XP and me. I'm happy with downgrading to 1.3.0.
    UPD. Ontopic: so I think skin management system should be able to get parts of skin files and get updates. For now, I know one one type of soft capable of doing this - version control systems (svn, git). So we need some kind of version controlling system for skins I think. i.e. that's now it looks like in streamedmp https://code.google.com/p/streamedmp/source/browse/trunk/SkinUpdate/SkinUpdate.xml Or just use svn as I did. And yes, it could be integrated in MPEI, MPEM or else.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    i don't think MPEM is going in wrong direction.
    So to be clear, you think it is okay if MPEM only handles plugins and does not handle skins and logos?

I can't understnd why it is going anywhere. I just don't understand how rewrting something from scratch could be better that fixing several problems (uac, version control). Maybe it's becaube I'm not professional in it.
    In this situation I know nothing about the architecture or code and have only a little insight from plugin and skin developers about their frustrations with MPEI. It seems that people who know more that me think it is necessary or easier to replace MPEI than attempt to patch it... and since they are the experts, I'm happy to take them at their word. However from a user perspective I feel that if MPEM can't handle skins and logos completely then requirements are being missed. For that reason, I will ask about the situation with MPEM...

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation

sa_ddam213

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2009
    Canterbury
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    i don't think MPEM is going in wrong direction.
    So to be clear, you think it is okay if MPEM only handles plugins and does not handle skins and logos?

I think it should handle skins and should have service for updating them. And for logos I'm not objective since I have this https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/logomanager-0-0-0-1-with-poll.119376/
    That EXACLY what MPEM is trying to resolve

Forget the MPEM GUI, its not important, the real deal is the Windows service that runs in the background that checks/installs updates to skins and plugins.

People can write a GUI interface for inside MP if they want, The only reason I made an external GUI is because my HTPC's have no mouse and keyboard and the exteranl GUI can be run on my desktop PC to update my HTPC plugins/skins.

If you need specific features added for skins/Logos updating just let me know so I can add the rquired features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom