PSU Size help needed, is 300w big enough? (1 Viewer)

robomonkey

Portal Pro
August 4, 2005
Hi,

I've got a Silverstone LC11M case, I've been running it since November with a 64bit Athlon on an MSI Board with integrated Xpress 200 GPU.

Yesterday I bought a new ASUS A8N-VM CSM motherboard with integrated Geforce 6150 and nforce 430.

After booting into the bios a few times and windows once, it stopped working. There is an LED on the motherboard which shows it still has power but pressing the on\off switch doesn't do anything, no fans, no beeping nothing.

I've established that it is the psu at fault by using another ATX PSU and it starts fine.

My question is, should a 300watt mictoATX psu be able to run an Athlon 64, 1 HDD, 1 DVD, and an integrated Geforce 6?

I've already ordered a new PSU, I'm just concerned that it might happen again, because it was bizarre how it happened and that the motherboard still shows power with the LED, I wonder if I'm pulling too much juice!

Ta Robo

Also does anyone know Silverstones RMA procedure as its only 3 months old!

mbb

Portal Pro
November 20, 2004
Home Country
France France
I have a Gigabyte K8N Ultra-9 motherboard with an Athlon 3200
The minimum requirement for the PSU in the documentation is 300w

Lately I bought a Fortron ZEN 300W fanless. It was impossible to start more than 3 seconds even without any pci card or graphic card.

I have replaced it now with success by an Antec Phantom 350.

I think 300W is more than enough for my usage but during the startup something append.

robomonkey

Portal Pro
August 4, 2005
I know when anything starts up it draws loads of power to get going, so maybe thats what happened?

Sounds like I might be about to blow another PSU, problem is because of the size I can't get a bigger one!!

wishywashy

Portal Pro
January 31, 2005
Hill AFB, UT
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I saw that you tried another power supply (PS) with the new board, did you try the old PS with another computer? In theory,and according to the manual, 300w should be enough. (see page 1-28 of the manual)

robomonkey

Portal Pro
August 4, 2005
No I didn't, started to get annoyed at that point.

Anyone know of a reseller in the uk that stocks the Silverstone PSU, or another PSU which will fit in the LC11? scan.co.uk just sent me an email that they're out of stock :evil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom