PureAudio kills video for mp4 movies (1 Viewer)

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    I installed PureAudio (I think it's the ASIO player?) at the same time as MP 1.0.1.

Attempts to play .mp4 movies results in no video, only audio when PureAudio is enabled. If disabled, video and audio work fine.

Checking the logs, it looks like PureAudio is claiming ownership of .mp4 as it's own, so MP doesn't then continue to search for a video player. Of course, PureAudio is right to say that it can play .mp4, but since the mp4 file in question is a H264 movie file, it's not appropriate.

Here's the line in the log file:
    2009-04-15 22:38:50.046476 [Debug][MPMain]: PureAudio: SupportsFile("\\MOFO\Media\Movies\Inkheart\Inkheart.mp4"): Supported

Will attach log extracts showing the attempt to play the same video; once with PureAudio enabled, the other with it disabled.

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Attempts to play .mp4 movies results in no video, only audio when PureAudio is enabled. If disabled, video and audio work fine.

Checking the logs, it looks like PureAudio is claiming ownership of .mp4 as it's own, so MP doesn't then continue to search for a video player. Of course, PureAudio is right to say that it can play .mp4, but since the mp4 file in question is a H264 movie file, it's not appropriate.

Yep this is a known problem with the player selection mechanism in MP. I will see if i can find a solution.

gnavox

Portal Member
    May 13, 2009
    Are there any news regarding this issue?

I have alot of MP4 videos with hardcoded subtitles, which took me ages to create from TV series in DVD format, and I cannot "afford" to loose them for this plugin.

On the other hand BASS Player + ASIO4ALL in MediaPortal plays back 96khz 24bit audio in 2x speed, so thats not an option either, unless I wan't to go with 16bit 44.1khz audio only.

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Had this issue as well. I wasnt aware that pureaudio was the cause. I can still test that at home.

Besides this. I found a way to get around the problem.
    My solution is to rename the mp4 to mkv. Then it will play. Did it last night and it worked.

Symphy

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 25, 2007
    Groningen
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Do you also have mp4 audio?
    If not, the workaround is simple. Remove the mp4 extension from the plugin extensionlist and PureAudio will not claim mp4 anymore.

Unfortunately i currently don't have the time to do substantial work on the plugin.

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I wasnt aware that mp4 could be an audio container only as well. I thought it was similar to mkv, audio and video container. But I do not know this for sure. I havent dig in to this subject.

But, it could explain why I do not see any video if I leave the extention as mp4. I just hear audio. This could be the result of Pureaudio taking over. Deleting the .mp4 extension from the pureaudio plugin is an easy solution for that indeed. :)

gnavox

Portal Member
    May 13, 2009
    Personally I only use MP4 as an audio/video container, so I don't have any MP4 audio files. I believe I tried to remove MP4 from the extension list without any luck, but I will try again and see how it goes. If this works, it is indeed an easy solution.

By the way - if renaming to MKV works, isn't there a catch? MP4 and MKV containers aren't identical, are they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom