Purevideo - Is it even being used outside of DVD? (1 Viewer)

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have the latest version of Purevideo installed as a trial, and have it selected as the video decoder for all sections of MP. When playing a DVD I can easily tell the difference in quality between other codecs, and the Purevideo icon appears in the system tray.

However when playing back different video formats, as well as live and recorded tv, there is no icon and I can't see any difference between what I'm watching and switching back to the DScaler codec.

Just wondering if other Purevideo users have the same issue?

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Yes, it is only an MPEG2 decoder, but it works just as well for live and recorded TV (if you have it selected in "Television" as the video decoder) as it does for DVD playing.

The nVIDIA icon appears in the System Tray for both TV viewing and DVD viewing, allowing you to check or set the parameters.

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    All is well, even though the icon doesn't appear in the tray during TV playback, GraphEdit shows that it is being used. Looking at the TV picture longer - and less sceptically - there is an improvement over the Dscaler with a brighter image, more contrast and better deinterlacing. Or something. It's better anyway!

The DVD picture is just spectacular :D

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    chrismalone said:
    i had to uninstall all mediaportal codecs,
    i.e. scaler etc.. to get purevideo (retail) to work..

Sounds like there's something very strange happening with your system! Mine is quite happy with Purevideo, DScaler, MPEG2dec, FFDShow, PowerDVD, anything Nero put on there and who knows what else.

Raven

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2005
    Stockholm
    Does the nVidia codec work well with ATI GPU?
    I understand the hardware post processing won't work, but is there a quality increase over DScaler without the post processing?

Tau C Seti

Portal Member
    November 19, 2005
    Sydney Australia
    Raven said:
    Does the nVidia codec work well with ATI GPU?
    I understand the hardware post processing won't work, but is there a quality increase over DScaler without the post processing?

Not really, as far as I understand it. ATI has the AVIVO SW for video, just as nVidia has purevideo. They each have specific API calls on their specific GPU architecture to help encode/decode video (mpeg2, h.263, h.264, etc).

This is all still in it's infancy, but we can expect to see enormous progress shortly. These SW releases will increasingly rely on stealing functions that the CPU once handled. The GPU becomes the core of what can be called a software-configurable processor, eventually becoming general-purpose parallel processors. Consider that they can currently process polygon data and other graphics-related traffic faster than what current CPU's can provide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom