Purpose of the IMDB action for VIDEOS (1 Viewer)

bearhntr

Portal Member
December 12, 2011
Georgia
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have MediaCenter Master (metadata collector) installed on my other Windows 7 PC and use it to gather all the METADATA for the movies in the collection on that machine. All my movies are in separate folders with the name of the movie (i.e. Titanic (1989) ) It finds the IMDB data for the file and puts backgroud art, and metadata for the movie, actors, synopsis, etc in that folder and then Windows 7 Media Center shows me all this stuff.

I have run the feature in the MP Config Tool and had it go out to the IMDB EN 1.2 site and it pulls all the same stuff down and I can see it in the Edit DB feature - but none of it shows when I am in the MP software under VIDEOS.

I have three folders under the VIDEOS folder on the HTPC (MKV, MP4 & MPG) under those are the same folders {movie_title (year)} with the individual files for the movies in them.

When I start MP and go to MY VIDEOS, I see the three folders (not liking this, but for the moment....dealing with it), and when I choose one...I get the folders pictures (they are correct as there is a folder.jpg in each of them), but when I choose the movie...rather than startting the movie, I have to navigate the move and start it....but none of the METADATA is displayed at either location. Am I missing something? Why is it in the DB, if I cannot see it?

What is the best way to do this so that I can use/view the metadata that is being pulled down? and get the movie to start by simply choosing it from the first list?

How would I get a differnt icon (than the Blue MP icon) that shows when I am looking at the MY VIDEOS folder with the three sub folders (MKV, MP4 & MPG) - also when I choose one of those - I see the same blue MP icon?

Thanks all for your help in advance.

Curtis

Deda

Lead Dev MP1 Videos
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 18, 2009
    Zagreb
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    What you used is what we called "Shared view" which is more or less file explorer. It can show metadata for movies but you need to dig it to a file lvl (only DVD folders are specially treated so there is no need to dig inside of them).

To see movies as they are as list you need to switch to different view (we called it Database views). Just use "View" menu option on left and choose Title or Year, Genre..).

Also, you can always use very popular 3rd party addons specially dedicated for movies like:

Moving Pictures https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/forums/moving-pictures.284/

or

MyFilms https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/forums/my-films.164/.

bearhntr

Portal Member
    December 12, 2011
    Georgia
    Home Country
    What you used is what we called "Shared view" which is more or less file explorer. It can show metadata for movies but you need to dig it to a file lvl (only DVD folders are specially treated so there is no need to dig inside of them).

To see movies as they are as list you need to switch to different view (we called it Database views). Just use "View" menu option on left and choose Title or Year, Genre..).

Also, you can always use very popular 3rd party addons specially dedicated for movies like:

Moving Pictures https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/forums/moving-pictures.284/

or

MyFilms https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/forums/my-films.164/.

Deda,

Thank you for your response. I am completely confused by the remark you made: "What you used is what we called "Shared view" which is more or less file explorer. It can show metadata for movies but you need to dig it to a file lvl (only DVD folders are specially treated so there is no need to dig inside of them)."

Can you elaborate on this? I wanna make this HTPC the best and easiest to use - but was a little shocked when WMC7 displayed all the IMDB data that I pulled down using MediaCenter Master into the folders where the movie was stored. What is the purpose of having the MSSQL2008 installed and the IMDB pull function if the MP is not going to show it?

I have tried all of the various views, and it still does the same thing - no metadata, and I still have to navigate to the folder (which is displaying the movie picture (either poster or DVD cover image) to the actual file and then choose it to get the movie to play.

Is it possible to have the MKV, MP4 and MPG folders when I choose them display something other than the default MP ICON (image) - do each of those folders need some kind of FOLDER.JPG file as well?

Is it preferred to put everything in one folder and do away with the sub-folders for each movie?

Thanks for your assistance.

Curtis

bearhntr

Portal Member
    December 12, 2011
    Georgia
    Home Country
    Deda,

Thank You or your replies..

I have downloade MYFILMS and will attempt an install. It looks like this plugin requires a lot of others be installed as well.

Is there an installation guide on how to install this plug-in with no glitches?

Curtis

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom