Put HTPC to Sleep - Power button or IRSS (1 Viewer)

Walzing

Portal Pro
November 15, 2008
Hi,
I use MP for (I think) 3 years now. The only thing that makes me crazy is my remote control.
I have an Antec Fusion Remote with Soundgraph IMON and RM200.
I installed/activated:
- IRSS
- IMON Manager (7.6)
- Minidisplay
- Powermanager (Only goto sleep while in home screen).

I disabled the powerbutton action in windows.
But I was not happy with my RM200 and IRSS. First RM200 is very unsteadily (double Enter Clicks) and IRSS sometimes could not be restarted (after config changes).
So I decided to buy a Logitech Harmony 600 and use IMON Software without IRSS.
But my first problem was, that putting my HTPC to sleep didn't work anymore, because the Power Button doesn't put my HTPC to sleep.

I thought I read that I should not put the htpc to sleep by power button.
So what would be the best configuration?

thx in advance
Walzing

PS: MP 1.2.3 is currently in use

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Best way is to let the PowerScheduler plugin put the HTPC to sleep after xx minutes.

Walzing

Portal Pro
    November 15, 2008
    And don't put my HTPC to sleep by 'Power botton' on my remote?

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    And don't put my HTPC to sleep by 'Power botton' on my remote?
    Correct. I put mine on Home menu when i go to sleep, then the system idles for max 15 minutes and then it goes to sleep. That way (on single seat setups) it's also more stable, so less change of missing scheduled recordings that need to wake the system from standby.

Walzing

Portal Pro
    November 15, 2008
    I can't believe that's the best way. In IRSS Sources I found that on Power Button, IRSS will stop g_Player, Move to Home screen and Calls ExitWindows with Sleep.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Well, i can only tell you that i've been using the PowerScheduler plugin for about 4 years now. I´ve been using it with single seat setups, and last year in a multi-seat setup. When i had a single seat setup, and forced the PC to go to sleep, that often resulted in missing recordings because it wouldn't wake up. As soon as i let the PowerScheduler plugin handle S3 state (sleep & wake up), it was working just fine.

But... that doesn't mean that it won't work for you. So just give it some tries. schedule some nightly recordings, put the system to sleep by remote and see if it recorded. If all works fine, then you're good.
    If it doesn't.... then you know what else to try ;)

Last edited:

Walzing

Portal Pro
    November 15, 2008
    Ok,

but what about, if I don't use Powerscheduler? What is the recommended solution?

andrewNZ

Portal Member
    March 31, 2010
    Dunedin
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    What kind of setup are you running?
    If you have a single seat setup, and you record TV, you really need to use Powerscheduler.

I have a silverstone GD02-MT case with Soundgraph gear (worst purchase ever) and I run a separate server.
    I don't use IRSS, I don't know if I can.

What I've done is this:
    Use the imon software and tell it I have a MCE remote
    Setup my logitech remote to be a MCE remote
    Map buttons to the IMON software, they don't match well but you can make it work.
    Set the HTPC power button to ender standby
    Tell the remote to toggle power

Walzing

Portal Pro
    November 15, 2008
    Hi,

so you don't use IRSS?
    What makes me nervous is, that the user won't get immediate response. If there would be an option to turn of minidisplay also. That would be a good idea.
    However - I think remote control is the major issue (ate least for me).
    I am home on friday and will spend some time on testing the remote control.

Emetic_4ever

Portal Pro
    September 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm using a completely different remote control, but I can copy the statement of HomeY: let the PowerScheduler put MP to sleep. I tried to force StandBy via Eventghost - and it sometimes resultet in irritating behaviour when waking up again (bad frame rate, crashing MP or TV Service, not able to tune channels and so on). Since I run it this way I have much less problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom