Q&A: 1.2.0 Plugin Compatibillity check (in svn since rev.27644) (1 Viewer)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    In rev. 27644 we have now introduced the Plugin Compatibillity Check.
    This means that none of the current extensions will work with current svn, until they are updated.

The code in svn is not 100% final. We are still in the process of eliminating a few smaller issues.

Plugin developers please read up :: about the required changes in 1.2.0 ::, and how the compatibillity check is working.
    You can also use this thread to ask questions about how to get the plugin compatible.

seco

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I had few plugins enabled when I updated to latest SVN with compatibility checks.

Now these plugins appear in "Incompatible plugins" list but are not grayed out like "Disabled":

http://www.privatepaste.com/download/c5f042f66f

StreamRadio and SubCentral appear as "Enabled"

Just a cosmetic flaw..

Mike Lowrey

Portal Pro
    February 4, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    edit: i should learn how to read

how exactly should the compatible version line look if the two build numbers are used?

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    I had few plugins enabled when I updated to latest SVN with compatibility checks.

Now these plugins appear in "Incompatible plugins" list but are not grayed out like "Disabled":

http://www.privatepaste.com/download/c5f042f66f

StreamRadio and SubCentral appear as "Enabled"

Just a cosmetic flaw..

This was intentional. It is to show that the plugins were enabled before upgrading MP and if/when they are updated to compatible versions, they will be automatically treated as such (i.e. enabled) without any user intervention.

If all incompatible plugins were shown as disabled, it would be impossible for the user to know* which ones were enabled before upgrading MP. Also the user would normally want to search for updated versions of the plugins he has enabled ASAP, but he would delay that search for the disabled ones. If he cannot tell which ones were enabled he would have to search for updates to all incompatible plugins.

That being said, if users seem to be more confused than aided by this behaviour, we can easily change it. But that remains to be seen.

* Yes, the user probably knows which plugins he has enabled/disabled. But by that rationale we should not show enabled/disabled state at all - the user already knows.;)

wouter1971

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2008
    Purmerend, Holland
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi devs, just for clearification, in the wiki it says:

IMPORTANT: Any plugin that does is not tagged using the above attributes will be considered pre 1.2.0 Beta and as such will be deemed incompatible with all future versions of MediaPortal.

Does this mean all older plugins are incompatible but usable if you enable them again OR totaly unusable?

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Any plugins built for any MediaPortal version prior to 1.2.0 Beta cannot be used in 1.2.0 Beta or any newer version.

No exceptions, no workarounds

mironicus

Portal Pro
    March 9, 2008
    AW: Q&A: 1.2.0 Plugin Compatibillity check (in svn since rev.27644)

One of the most important plugins - IR Server Suite - is also not compatible. :(

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Posts regarding the version check policies have been moved to team internal forums.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

Forgive me if this is not the right place.... (please more to appropriate area if required).

But when I try and compile any new SVN, all the "internal" plugins are set to incompatible (see attached screen capture and log)

Does anyone have any ideas (before I recheckout the source)????

Thanks,

J. :D

Attachments

• plugins.png
      plugins.png
      91 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom