QAM major/minor channel numbers ?? (2 Viewers)

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    After a channel scan of digital cable, is there ANY way to get a list of the major and minor QAM channel numbers for each tuned channel? (other than by 'editing' each channel and noting the channel numbers under 'Details' - see attached image)
    Such a list would make selecting which tuned channels to keep 'almost infinitely' easier (little oxymoron there).
    Suggestion: replace the completely useless 'Tuningdetails' fields on the Channels list with the 'Details' fields from the Edit Channel dialog.

Attachments

• TV channels.JPG
      TV channels.JPG
      126.4 KB

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    if you use TV Server Config > Import/Export, you can export your channels to a export.xml file. You can open this file in a web browser (chrome, firefox etc) and see the raw Major/Minor channel info, but not very user friendly. For my OTA/ATSC (not QAM) I see stuff like this
    <channel GrabEpg="True" IdChannel="24" IsRadio="False" IsTv="True"
    LastGrabTime="2000-1-1 0:0:0" SortOrder="20" TimesWatched="0"
    TotalTimeWatched="2000-1-1 0:0:0" VisibleInGuide="True"
    DisplayName="KPIX-TV" ChannelNumber="5001">

<tune IdChannel="24" IdTuning="24" Bandwidth="8" ChannelNumber="29"
    ChannelType="1" CountryId="31" Diseqc="0" FreeToAir="True" Frequency="-1"
    MajorChannel="5" MinorChannel="1" Modulation="23" Name="KPIX-TV" NetworkId="1"
    PmtPid="48" Polarisation="0" Provider="Terrestrial" ServiceId="1"
    SwitchingFrequency="0" Symbolrate="0" TransportId="379" TuningSource="0"
    VideoSource="0" AudioSource="0" IsVCRSignal="False" SatIndex="-1"
    InnerFecRate="-1" Band="0" Pilot="-1" RollOff="-1" Url="" Bitrate="0" />
    so the channel info is the following, ChannelNumber is the actual channel my ATSC tuner is using, assume QAM would be similar
    DisplayName="KPIX-TV" ChannelNumber="29" MajorChannel="5" MinorChannel="1"

Could you upload your export.xml file, curious what this looks like for QAM. Also what zipcode, cable provider do you use? I'm working on a mc2xmlmap tool/SW that tries to automap MP scanned channels by channel number to mc2xml channels to make xmltv-plugin setup a bit easier. Curious if it could work with QAM.

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    Thanks -- that's an improvement on the one-at-a-time method. Sure I'll upload an export.xml file -- may take a day or so. Gotta fix some other (non-MP) items today.
    I hope some developer takes my suggestion, though.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I hope some developer takes my suggestion, though.
    If you weren't using such an old version of MediaPortal, you'd have a "channel number" column in the TV Channels (and Radio Channels) section which shows the information you're looking for. ;)

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    hmm, did not know he was using older version. maybe time to get up to date.

but assuming you using win7/8/10 with powershell, press "win key", select "run" type powershell

cd to the folder with export.xml file, and type (copy/paste) the following

select-string -pattern "<tune ","<channel " export.xml | Foreach { $_ -split ' '} | select-string -pattern channel,name,display

and you will see the Channel names/numbers from the export.xml file like the following

DisplayName="KTVU-SD"
    ChannelNumber="2002">
    IdChannel="403"
    ChannelNumber="44"
    ChannelType="1"
    MajorChannel="2"
    MinorChannel="2"
    Name="KTVU-SD"

Last edited:

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    If you weren't using such an old version of MediaPortal, you'd have a "channel number" column in the TV Channels (and Radio Channels) section which shows the information you're looking for. ;)
    That's right, mm, stick it to me. I knew I could count on you ---- 'cause I deserve it. But RonD gave me some useful info anyway.
    So how far do I have to upgrade to get the snazzy new 'channel number' column. (ahem, that should have been there all along)
    Just hesitant to mess with something that ain't broken -- and is actually working almost perfectly.
    The only reason for recent multiple re-scans is a major upheaval with my cable company. Finally coming to the 21st century by changing to all digital cable, if you can believe it.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again Cal

It was just a friendly jab. :)
    I understand your hesitation. The oldest version with the channel number column is 1.3 beta I think. 1.3 final certainly has the change.

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    Hello again Cal

It was just a friendly jab. :)
    I understand your hesitation. The oldest version with the channel number column is 1.3 beta I think. 1.3 final certainly has the change.
    Of course, mm. Same for my reply. Thanks for the info.

cewillis

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 27, 2010
    Home Country
    Here's my export.xml. This is AFTER deleting all scrambled channels and several other unwanted ones. You'll see that there are many near duplicates -- this is because of the state of flux in my provider (I hope).
    Let me know if you want something else --

Attachments

• export.xml
      91.4 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom