Question about Client/Server set up (1 Viewer)

pmwolf

Portal Pro
July 30, 2010
Hi all I got a question about the client/server set up and how it will work with multiple servers running on a single network

Here is my local area network
2x Linux Servers host Samba shares​
2x Dedicated media center PCs​
My plane for MP2 is to install and run a Client and a Server on each of my media center PCs so I don't have the client-server traffic on my network.

I have two questions about this
  1. Will I be able to tell client to only connect to a given server?
  2. Will I be able to tell servers to only allow connections from a given client?

The first question is not as important because I should be able to block the traffic with the firewall but the second one is very important when considering network security in my mind.

Thanks again

Albert

MP2 Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 18, 2008
    Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    pmwolf, unfortunately, MP2 doesn't support the scenario you described. In MP2, you can only have ONE server per MP2 system. To connect clients to a server, they are "attached" (see the settings). There can be multiple systems in a local network but media cannot be shared between systems.
    But in MP2, each client can also have shares which are also shared across the network, as long as the client is running, off course. In your scenario, you could choose one of your Linux servers to be the MP2 server host and run clients on each other computer with media on it.

Answers to your questions 1) and 2) is no. It's easy to change the code to have such checks, but it would be necessary to change the core code; this is one of the rare functions which cannot be added by a plugin :)
    I could imagine to add a plugin interface for function 2 sometime in the future to let a server plugin do the actual check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom