Question about the flexibility of filenames. (1 Viewer)

Len Lekx

Portal Member
December 10, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Home Country
Canada Canada
First off, hello to all. I'm in the middle of assembling my HTPC project, and am looking forward to seeing how MediaPortal integrates into it.

On to my question...

One of the series I'm hoping to rip onto my system is not separated into seasons - the DVDs are broken into stories of up to 12 parts. Most of the media server software I've researched uses a 'season-episode' convention for their filenames - typically in a [series title]-s[xx]e[yy]-[episode title] format. Is there enough flexibility in this convention to allow for using the 'season' notation as a 'story' notation, if the series would require three-digit story numbers?

Or would I be better off leaving this particular series off my server? :(

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

are you going for MP1 with MP-TVSeries plugin or for MP2 with built-in series handling?

For one file that contains multiple episodes ther eis a certain naming convention supported by both MP1 with MP-TVSereis and MP2: 'Seriestitle S01E01E02E03E04.mkv'

There you can tell MP which episodes are in this single file. It then will show single entries for each epsiode but when you start for example episode 1 and are finished watching it then every other episode in this file will be marked as watched. Not a native English speaker here but I hope you get it.

Cheers

Blue Max

Len Lekx

Portal Member
    December 10, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    @BlueMax1916

"are you going for MP1 with MP-TVSeries plugin or for MP2 with built-in series handling?"

I was planning on going with MP2 - didn't realize that it handles series differently. I rather assumed that I would be ripping them all into individual episodes, and naming them sequentially.

@Timberwolf99

I guess I'm going to be spending a lot of time on that website. :eek: I had a quick peek, and saw that the early Doctor Who is broken up into 23 seasons. The DVDs don't go by seasons, so I'm going to have to see which story goes in which season.

Now for a stupid question... :p Do I have to put each season into individual directories? Or is a single directory with every season sufficient?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I was planning on going with MP2 - didn't realize that it handles series differently
    It doesn't. Information is pulled from TheTvDb in both cases.

I would be ripping them all into individual episodes, and naming them sequentially.
    You can do that. However, if there is TvDb information online it will be pulled according to the season/episode numbering you have given to your files - regardless of the file content.

Do I have to put each season into individual directories?
    No.

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The official convention for MP2 is "Series title S01E01-E02-E03...". Note the hyphens and see Wiki. But I guess that it will also work without the hyphens, yet never tested it myself.

I think it works in MP2 also without the hyphens. Need to check. I have one or two recordings of 'Magnum' which are double episodes in one file. In MP1 with MP-TVSeries both naming conventions are possible.

Cheers

Blue Max

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think it works in MP2 also without the hyphens.
    It does. S01E01E02E03 is the scheme I'm using since ever the support for multiple files in one episode was added to MP2 (long time ago already). Opposite to TVSeries, MP2 can handle more than two episodes in one file. Theoretically it is unlimited, but at least they couldn't contain more than one complete season.

Is there enough flexibility in this convention to allow for using the 'season' notation as a 'story' notation
    It depends if TVDB does support this. On TVDB there are two numbering schemes available for some series. The "normal" numbering is like the airing order but there also is the so called DVD order. This can be match your special Doctor Who case (don't know you need to look yourself). MP2 is supporting both schemes. The file naming generally has to be after the airing order. E.G. the series "Firefly" has a completely messed up airing order. The pilot episode was aired as episode 11 out of 14... So Firefly only is watchable if you switch to DVD order...

Do I have to put each season into individual directories?
    You don't need to do so. But most people prefer season folders as it is more easy to keep the overview.

Len Lekx

Portal Member
    December 10, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Well - looking at the TvDb website, I'll have to break each story into their respective season and episode numbering. Doable, but time-consuming. Thanks to all for the advice.

Len Lekx

Portal Member
    December 10, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Another dumb question...

How do I deal with titles that contain 'forbidden' characters such as colons?

If I want to rip '2001: A Space Odyssey' or 'Blade: Trinity', I'm going to have to use a dash or a space instead. Will imdb (I'm assuming that's the database used for movies...) recognize the title properly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom