Question about the flexibility of filenames. (2 Viewers)

Len Lekx

Portal Member
December 10, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Home Country
Canada Canada
Well - I've been working on ripping my video collection onto my new HTPC. It's starting to look as though I'm going to have to add the tt numbers to many of the titles. Ironically - I started copying my Doctor Who collection from the 2005 series re-start, but I must have used a funky filename, because MP2 started listing them from the very first 1963 episode! Also, my Cosmos series with Neil DeGrasse Tyson came up as the one from Sagan. (I'm not going to mentioned what came up for the Disney movie 'Frozen'... :eek: )

I also have a couple of issues with my tuner cards, but I'll post that as a separate thread when I get deeper into it...

Timberwolf99

Portal Pro
November 20, 2015
Home Country
Australia Australia
What I found with multiples of the same show, putting the start year in brackets for its root folder helps in finding the right series.

Len Lekx

Portal Member
December 10, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Home Country
Canada Canada
It kinda-sorta helped - Cosmos is still wrong, and Doctor Who is now showing one episode in each Season folder... but it's the same one for all of them!

The funniest one is - I have a movie titled "Evolution" that stars David Duchonvy and Julianne Moore... it's currently being listed as "Evolution of a Filipino Family".

So - to be on the safe side, I'm going to go through my entire collection and put the tt numbers on everything.

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If you want to be really on the safe side and if you want to go through your entire collection anyways then use Lehmden's Media-Buddy to generate .nfo files for your movies and series. Makes a recognition rate of 100% for your video files in MP2. Also it can download fanart, covers etc. so you can be entirely independent from online sources in the future and you can go for strict offline import in MP2.

Cheers

Blue Max

BlueMax1916

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • January 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No need to do a Google search. it is linked in Lehmden's signature here in this thread -> MKV Buddy - Tool to help handling of Videos
    It was caled MKV-Buddy, its successor is Media-Buddy. it is pretty versatile. But you can use it only for creating .nfo files and downloading artwork. No need to convert files if you don't want.

Cheers

Blue Max

Len Lekx

Portal Member
    December 10, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Well... you only gave the name instead of a link. It only took me a moment to look it up, anyway. :p I see that it's a program for purchase - are there watermarks or teasers on the files from the unpaid version?

At any rate - I've got most of my movies renamed with the appropriate tt numbers now - I'll do the series later.

Question - what do I do with 'special' episodes from a series? Examples - Doctor Who has some episodes that don't get listed as part of the series itself - Waters of Mars, Planet of the Dead, End of Time... and Farscape has 'The Peacekeeper Wars'. They're not part of the seasons list... I tried putting 'Torchwood: Miracle Day' in a separate folder, but MP doesn't import it.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I see that it's a program for purchase
    No, it isn't. The software is free.

what do I do with 'special' episodes from a series?
    You can treat special episodes i the same manner by asigning "0" (zero) as the season number. These will then be imported as specials and appear under Season 0. TheTvDb.com follows the same methodology.

Len Lekx

Portal Member
    December 10, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    No, it isn't. The software is free..

Then I must be looking at the wrong program...

Is this it? Media Buddy

You can treat special episodes i the same manner by asigning "0" (zero) as the season number. These will then be imported as specials and appear under Season 0. TheTvDb.com follows the same methodology.

Ah - okay. It looks like the Torchwood special I mentioned is listed as Season 4... I'm trying that right now. (ReImporting the database at the moment...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom