Questions about MP2.2 (1 Viewer)

Alberto83

Portal Pro
August 7, 2012
Home Country
Italy Italy
Hello, is there a page where I can find the changelog for MP 2.2?

I have some questions regarding User management, trakt and TVE 3.5 (which i suppose it's close to release, given MP2-Buddy allows to backup it) but before seeming stupid I'd like to know if they're already answered in the changelog.

I tried opening the changelog on MP 2.2 Release under the download page but it shows the 2.1.3 changelog. Is it too early?
I suppose you need translation strings, but i haven't found any new translation request on transifex.
I just wanna be prepared when the update comes out, nothing urgent.

EDIT: added the transifex part.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I tried opening the changelog on MP 2.2 Release under the download page but it shows the 2.1.3 changelog. Is it too early?
    Change log gets available when the version is set to "released". Until then you can browse the entries and filter by version like: Issue Navigator - Jira

I suppose you need translation strings, but i haven't found any new translation request on transifex.
    I push new resources when a feature is completed. During work in progress the things often change and I like to avoid unneeded translations. I think some new will follow in next weeks, but early enough before any release of MP2.2.

I have some questions regarding User management, trakt and TVE 3.5 (which i suppose it's close to release, given MP2-Buddy allows to backup it) but before seeming stupid I'd like to know if they're already answered in the changelog.
    Just ask :) But in regards to TVE3.5 the answer will most probably be "nothing new on this part".

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    TVE 3.5 (which i suppose it's close to release, given MP2-Buddy allows to backup it)
    Sadly no. The backup option for TVE 3.5 is a remaining from some years ago as there was a first preview version of TVE 3.5 available for MP2.0. This version is completely outdated and did not reflect the real development status of TVE 3.5 and it is not compatible with more recent MP2.x versions...

I simply didn't remove this as some day (nobody knows when this day will be) the TVE 3.5 will be ready for usage. And then MP2-Buddy is prepared already.
    Indeed only the used file name of the database is different inside MP2-Buddy as the main backup process is an internal SQLite operation. So not much work left for MP2-Buddy, only to trigger the internal SQLite command with different database files. Simple as that.

I have some questions regarding User management
    The user management still is in development. In general you will have some different type of users. An Admin who is allowed to do anything, an average user who has limited access to settings and "Kids" who are not allowed to change anything and even not allowed to view media not meant for children... An Admin can add other admins and any other type of user. And he can grant or deny permissions for various things...

Alberto83

Portal Pro
    August 7, 2012
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Ahh thanks.
    I thought you already had a changelog ready for the planned features.

Ok, the first thing i'd like to ask regards users management and its integration with trakt. As of now, trakt is "client based", meaning that you have to configure each single client with the trakt account. Will that change with the new user management system?
    I suppose if you have multiple users they'll be able to login to their profile, and the system would probably allow multiple profiles concurrently logged on the same seat.
    For example, User a is currently logged to watch a movie, users B sits later on the couch, he joins user A by logging in on the same client (maybe with a pin, or by just selecting its icon). It makes sense in my twisted mind that both userA and userB can have their own trakt account tied on their profile and sync it.
    Same for watched status. I'm sorry if it's too early to talk about that, it's just out of curiosity.

You answered all my questions about Transifex and TVE 3.5 so I'm done. Again, remember if you need beta testers for the TVE 3.5 engine I'm really ready to help. All my TV is centralized and my 3 clients streams it over ethernet with a dual-tuner, so when it will be time for bug bashing sessions i'm ready.

Alberto83

Portal Pro
    August 7, 2012
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    The user management still is in development. In general you will have some different type of users. An Admin who is allowed to do anything, an average user who has limited access to settings and "Kids" who are not allowed to change anything and even not allowed to view media not meant for children... An Admin can add other admins and any other type of user. And he can grant or deny permissions for various things...

Darn sorry, i missed it. So user management is mostly privilege based management than profile management?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    As I'm not using trakt I don't have any clue about their user management.
    At least every MP2 user has it's own set of watched flags already. Other settings like "skin" and plugins should follow (as told the development is not finished jet).
    I suppose if you have multiple users they'll be able to login to their profile,
    Yes. There is a login screen where all users have their icon and you can login by clicking on your icon. If set you also need to enter your password.

and the system would probably allow multiple profiles concurrently logged on the same seat.
    Not now. And afaik there are no plans to allow multiple users on the same machine at the same time... But maybe this will be implemented later, I don't know. Right now this is not possible. You first need to logout User A before User B can login on the same MP2 client...

Alberto83

Portal Pro
    August 7, 2012
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Ok perfect. All questions answered. Thank you.

If i may add my 2c, it would be great to segregate trakt sync inside user profiles or disable it (that honestly, would make me really sad, but i understand there's a new layer of complexity added with it). Trakt works more or less like mediaportal 2 for watched status and collections, which means that if it keeps working like it is now, it would create a little mess with user profiles watched flags.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It's definitely too early, a MP2.2 will not be released in short time. Some packages are completed, because done parallely to MP2.1.3 already, but there are still major tasks open.

I have some questions regarding User management
    During the early development of this I prepared already a Wiki documentation for the future. But many things were changed afterwards, so there is currently nothing.
    Maybe there will be a blog or similar with some infos before release of MP2.2 ;)

Alberto83

Portal Pro
    August 7, 2012
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    thanks!
    i'm really looking forward to see this new release.
    MP2 is getting better with every version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom