Quick Guide to Using Hebrew with MP 0.1.2.0 (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

Yep. I understand... Until such provisions are made in the SW, we won't have decent Hebrew filenames. Maybe one of the devs or mods would care to enlighten us about the status of having this patch in 0.1.3.0 ?

Once MP supports it, I promise to edit my original post in this thread to make the post more complete.

Thanks,

addadi

Portal Member
September 1, 2004
Israel
The patch worked with version 1.0.7 or 8 only. The patch was closed although it was not integrated to the sources and nobody is willing to explain why. meanwhile the code was changed from c# to c++, so even if someone would want to integrate it, the patch is not relevant anymore.
Since it's a open source community - we are those who needs to do the job which is for a directx gui programmer :-(

A

Anonymous

Maybe the guy who wrote it, Yuval, could do something about it? But I don't see him arround...
On the other hand, I am a c++ programmer...
I was sure the code is in c#. But I have no experience in writing for windows, and hardly have any spare time, so don't hold your breath...

A

Anonymous

Hi all,

I sorry to be doing PR for another product, but I am now using GB-PVR.
Since my system would not stabilize with MP, I decided to try other SW.
GB-PVR's support of Hebrew is perfect. It is slightly lacking in features, compared with MP, but only slightly.

Amit

A

Anonymous

Thanks Amit. That's the first time I hear about GB-PVR, but from its screenshots it looks good. And I understand from you that it supports right-to-left fonts, then unlike media portal, GB-PVR can even be used for real!

A

Anonymous

Hi Doron.

Indeed. It took me about 10 minutes to get the basic thing up and running to my satisfaction. Then I had some minor issues (all resolved within an hour or so).

If you PM me your email address, we can communicate directly, and I can help you.

GB-PVR even has skins ported from MP...

arnonm

Portal Member
February 23, 2005
Another option

And guys, since you are on the subject of PR, look at MythTV - requires Linux, but works great with Hebrew.

Arnon

A

Anonymous

Hi Arnon,

You are absolutely right. I encourage all Linux enthusiasts and non-Linuxers alike, who need Hebrew, to try MythTV.

I've tried MythTV in the past (6 months ago, I think). MythTV was a very sweet thing 8), which (at that time) did not handle Hebrew well at all, but had all the pizzaz I was looking for.

I concluded that it is not useful for me since the Hauppauge drivers (ivtv) were simply too unstable. I had many many issues with these drivers, which crashed my system. Also these drivers were (at that time) too specific to kernel version, and I was not inclined to lock myself to a single kernel version.

All of this may have changed by now, and surely the main difference between today and then is that today I have a dedicated machine for PVR :p, and then I didn't... :roll:

In any case, I want my wife to be able to admin the box if needed, and while she knows Windows well, her Linux knowledge is close to nil

Also, since I have no screen attached to the thing (only the TV), then using a VNC server lets me see the PC's screen, which I don't remember if VNC allows this for Linux... I may be wrong here.

Thanks,

A

Anonymous

Just a remark regarding VNC:
Last time I used it, it was oughfully slow. There are a lot of programs that do it much better.
First of all, you have the remote desktop that is integrated in Win XP PRO.
Second, there is an exelent one that I use: Huey. But it is not free.
And there are many more.

A

Anonymous

Thanks,

I will try the one integrated into XP Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom