Quickly delete old schedules that aren't on air any more (1 Viewer)

oscaroo

February 26, 2013
Home Country
Austria Austria
Gday.

In my family, we've a dedicated media portal machine. It has *drumroll* EIGHT tv tuners plugged into it. (Although only 6 work [1]). We schedule whole sorts of things. To the point where the machine only sleeps an hour or two a day.

An example of show we might record is a , say, 4 week special of David Attenborough something - so we schedule it with "Record every time on this channel". Unfortunately, after the 4 weeks go past, the schedule remains scheduled even though no more David Attenboruough shows are scheduled.
Additionally, we have observed that the time elapsed while scheduling or starting a new recording is proportional to the amount of scheduled shows, in more than O(n), perhaps O(n^n).

Consequently, about every two months I have to manually traverse the "Schedules" section of the Tv Server config while checking the media portal EPG (via the search show title) ... one .. by one .. to remove expired scheduled tv shows.

Is there a nice feature built in, or can one be built in, or can someone give me the SQL to query the MySQL to retrieve the schedules for which no entries exist in the EPG, and then remove them?

I find that the lag from scheduling a show until the UI returns from having scheduled the show increases from an instant, to a couple of minutes, due to the above accrual of expired schedules.

The machine is an i5 3550 with 32gb of ram running on an SSD for the OS and recording to 3.5" hdd internally. Buying a faster machine is not an option (nor is upgrading the CPU)

[1] If you buy more than 1 tv tuner card, ensure that each card you buy is from a different manufacturer. Otherwise, you'll run into pain when the manufacturer didn't test their driver to operate with more than 2 cards of their own brand. As a result two of my twin tuners do not work correctly. One works as a single tuner, and the other one is dead in the water - but I keep it as a spare.

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Theoretically (cannot test currently since @work) you can switch in TV-Schedules to Series view (a button) and these schedules should be shown. But maybe I remember wrong and there are only schedules with actual upcoming episodes shown, not quite sure currently.

netexplorer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 21, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Use TvWishlist, to create automated schedules, wich give you a lot more options and prevent unwanted schedules.

oscaroo

February 26, 2013
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    @The_Stig: I think it's limited to visible EPG data only.
    @netexplorer: Thank you! I think that if I use TvWishlist to schedule shows instead of the built in scheduler then the delay of scheduling a show may no longer be present as that delay would then happen on the background while TvWishlist schedules it. I will give this a go ... whenever the Tv server has some free time to install the plug in and restart..

FYI so you have an idea of the number of scheduled shows - clicking on the Schedules thingo of the Tv window (not the Tv server config, but the media portal UI one) it says: 451 schedules :D ... I think this is 451 instances of things to record that it has found in the EPG to record from the scheduled shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom