Quiet HD (1 Viewer)

Q

Quint

Hi all,

I have a 40 Gb Maxtor disk in my htpc now, but this thing is rather noisy. So I'm looking for a new HD. I really don't care about the capacity, since it's only meant for the operating system (windows) and the application (Mediaportal). The most important thing for me is quiet as possible. And second the price of course.

So tell me, what is a real quiet hd? And/or what about a silentdrive enclosure?

Any good and affordable solutions/tips are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

A

Anonymous

Well, i'm a big fan of Seagate, 'cause they are realy quiet.
But over here I have a Western Digital with a Zalman HDD cooler/damper, and damn, the zalman does his job vey good!

Lars E.

Portal Member
March 28, 2005
Norway
Czar63,
Do you know if this disk is more silent than the Seagate when it is working?

I have read on a norwegian site that the Samsung is very quiet when not used, but that it's making a lot of those familiar "ticking" noises when being used. I don't know how the Seagate sounds, but read that they have removed a feature that trades noise for performance.

- would like a silent hard disk.

Lars E.

A

Anonymous

Seagate baras used to be well regarded, but I bought a Samsung about a year ago as I heard good things about them.

EDIT: typo

A

Anonymous

There is also the option to use al laptop harddrive. These are the most quiets by far. there are 2.5 inch drives with SATA and PATA support. If size doent matters :wink: this is the most sillent option

A

Anonymous

About samsung i have heard that it could be a little bit quiter then the seagate - but only sometimes (could bee a bit louder too). So if you feel lucky.... Also the seagates are known for there realibility, werefore i choose seagate. A good silent enclosure with some sort of heat transporting is a good idee, they only raise the temperatrure a few c according to tests i have seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom