Radeon drivers after 21.5.2 cause video playback stuttering - anyone confirm/fix? (1 Viewer)

David Scott

Portal Member
April 20, 2012
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I have been trying all drivers since the Radeon 21.5.2 update but they all cause MP video playback to suffer a few milliseconds of stutter every second or two. Audio is fine. As soon as I revert to 21.5.2 the problem goes away. Very annoying. Has anyone else noticed this or have a fix (other than the obvious stay at 21.5.2)?

Attachments

• MP_Logs_DAVIDSPC_21_07_29_18_14.zip
    46.2 KB

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Are you using the LAV Video decoder? Can you try disabling the DXVA hardware decoder setting to see if it has any effect?

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Has anyone else noticed this or have a fix (other than the obvious stay at 21.5.2)?

I am running 21.7.1 on my desktop (RX 550XT) and have not noticed any video stutter (1920x1080 50hz vid.) using both DXVA2 )Copy Back) and D3D11 Hardware Decoders. I am still on 20.11.2 on my HTPC (RX 570) as I ran into intermittent black screen problems on return from sleep with a newer one I tried in Feb. this year and have not got round to try a newer update. I will do my best to update the HTPC to 21.7.1 this weekend and get back to you.
    If you have not already done so you may want to check out the AMD forum here it tends to be very much gaming orientated but there is a lot of stuff on the RX 6800 so may be of help.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Further to the above I used DDU to uninstall 20.11.2 on my HTPC then installed 21.6.2 (minimal install) the current MS approved version, set it up and ran a couple of vids 50 & 23Hz [DXVA2 (Copy Back)] and can't be sure but there seemed to be some very light stutter, on first return from sleep it black screened so I decided to do just an update install to 21.7.2. I now cannot detect any stutter and so far it has not black screened on return from sleep, I also updated the chipset drivers but still need to update Win 10 from June.
    Hope that helps.

David Scott

Portal Member
    April 20, 2012
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Are you using the LAV Video decoder? Can you try disabling the DXVA hardware decoder setting to see if it has any effect?
    Very interesting. OK, first I discovered an old episode of Family Guy recorded this week was in the old SD format ratio and that was not stuttering at all, whereas all the usual modern HD ratio recordings show the stutter. That may be a clue.

In the meantime, I did as you suggested and tried turning off the DXVA hardware decoder (though with a bit more experimenting I might just need to disable if for the H264) and that fixed it (it was set to 'copy-back' by default also tried 'native'). Weird and annoying as the software decoder seems to have some visible tearing occasionally.

vuego

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 5, 2006
    Göteborg
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I found out that I have the same issue in VLC. I need to disable hardware acceleration or I get horrible stuttering on HD recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom