Radio not tuning to correct frequency (1 Viewer)

jon454

May 26, 2013
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi all. I am using a Hauppauge HVR-2200 to listen to radio in Melbourne, Victoria AU, but when it sets up the stations all the frequency's are out by 10mhz or more. which does not sound right or pick up the stations. The signal is good going by MP and when I tune it manually to the station it sounds fine. Could anyone tell me please if this normal for that card or do I need to look into it further?

I am using the TV antenna for reception and have tried a couple of different aerials as well.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Jon

...but when it sets up the stations all the frequency's are out by 10mhz or more.
    I don't understand what you mean by this.
    Please can you explain with an example, referring to a specific station with the details of the actual frequency and the frequency that TV Server and/or the HVR-2200 are using.

Logs may also be helpful.

Thanks,
    mm

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi,

I have the same tuner.

He means when you attempt to auto scan the fm radio channels using tv server configuration it gets all the frequencies wrong.

I have the same problem. I just assumed the fm radio scanner was buggy. I had to create the radio stations manually.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The range for FM radio scanning is roughly 20 MHz. It would be really unusual for stations to be 10 MHz out. Maybe 0.1 MHz, or 0.2 MHz... but not 10 MHz. So I'd appreciate a confirmation from the OP...

In direct response to your comment...
    The scanning code is not buggy. The issue is (1) that many tuners are very sensitive and (2) that the BDA/WDM interface specifies only a lock/no-lock flag for analog tuning (ie. no concept of signal strength/quality). It is bad enough that the tuners report signal lock 0.2 or even 0.3 MHz from the centre frequency of a channel. Worse is that TV Server can't use signal quality/strength to hone in on the real centre frequency. In order to avoid creating duplicate channels the radio scanner jumps something like 0.3 or 0.4 MHz after a station is locked. This will never really be entirely satisfactory but we're not able to solve interface and driver limitations.

jon454

May 26, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi all thanks for the information. Sorry it was 0.1 0.2 0.3mhz not 10mhz, enough to cause some stations not to receive correctly though. I will search for a way that the settings can be backed up for the radio (after i have set them up manually), I think there was something about an xml file while trying to find a solution to the issue.

Last edited:

jon454

May 26, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks will check it out too

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom