porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Guys,

I have started to use Dataram ramdisk and this is now showing consistency with creating a 4Gb RAM disk on startup. I haven't yet started using it for timeshift, as there are other things I am trying to sort out yet. Start up times are quick, and it is looking good.

I must have an evaluation version as I cannot seem to increase the RAM disk above 4Gb, but I cannot seem to find on the dataram website how or where to get a version that allows more than 4Gb. Any ideas?

Thank you for the invaluable advice so far.

M.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi Guys,

I have started to use Dataram ramdisk and this is now showing consistency with creating a 4Gb RAM disk on startup. I haven't yet started using it for timeshift, as there are other things I am trying to sort out yet. Start up times are quick, and it is looking good.

I must have an evaluation version as I cannot seem to increase the RAM disk above 4Gb, but I cannot seem to find on the dataram website how or where to get a version that allows more than 4Gb. Any ideas?

Thank you for the invaluable advice so far.

M.

On RAMDisk - Software - Server Memory Products & Services - Dataram there is a blue "Add" button to buy a full license ($14.99)

:)

From what I can see, it also seems possible to purchase some RAM with them, and get a free license that way. So if you are in the market for RAM, it may be a good deal. But I think they're US based...

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Many thanks Pilehave.... I just couldn't see the purchase licence button :oops:

Bought the licence, placed it into the install folder and now I have a 8Gb Timeshift RAMdisk :D

I have shutdown and restarted a number of times now and all seems to work fine. I used to get a stutter after switching to a HD channel, and this used to happen a couple of secs into the channel change. This has now completely disappeared. It seems to work great. I just hope I can now get some stability from the system - this past weekend has been a nightmare. :eek:

:D

M

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I have just bought the additional 8GB RAM that I intended when I started this thread and now have 12GB of RAM to play with - I am going to use 8GB for the RAM Disk.

I have just had a quick look at the most recent posts - is the consensus, then, that the best way forward is to do exactly what Porky has done and buy the full version of RAMDisk.

Btw Porky, how is the RAM Disk holding up?

Thanks

A

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

I cant comment for the others, but I have been running RAMDisk since it was beta, and have no complaints.

Works a treat for me. :)

J.

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi elsmandino,

So far RAMdisk has been great. I'm back to x86 (32 bit) version of Win 7 and all is working fine. The whole amount of RAM is shown in Windows, but it does state that only 4Gb is used. RAMDisk say this but does allow the excess of 4Gb to be accessed as a ramdrive. It works well, no problems booting up or resuming from S3 sleep. Channel change seem a bit quicker. Much better at pausing and rewinding live HD TV.

The only thing I have noticed is a jitter now and again and it lasts for about 10-15 secs. The jitter is hard to describe, it is like the picture is playing the stream as it should but jumps back and forth a couple of frames as the stream plays. It could be the ramdisk, I really don't know. It certainly isn't a regular occurence so it doesn't bother me. Happens more on CH4 HD - I noticed it watching River Cottage.

M.

BillyTheFish

Portal Pro
    September 5, 2008
    Home Country
    Just to throw another bit of Ramdisk software into the mix, according to this: 12 RAM Disk Software Benchmarked for Fastest Read and Write Speed | Raymond.CC Blog

not all Ramdisk software is created equal and some is faster than others. I haven't tried it (and the article is a couple of years old and so things may have changed) but the fastest one on the list looks pretty good. It's (sort of) nagware so the current evaluation version expires in January 2012 but you can simply install the next evaluation version then and continue to use it for free, or pay the creator $10 to have a copy that doesn't expire

:oops:

Hah! I forgot about the expiration of my trial Ramdisk software and MePo and Windows REALLY started acting up. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I was suddenly getting all sort of problems and couldn't watch telly anymore. Turns out that my Ramdisk expired (and didn't tell me).

Oh well, guess I'll have to buy that licence then.

Did anyone figure out what the best file settings are for timeshifting with a ramdisk? Mine has been working flawlessly *except* very occasionally it'll have a stutter. I'm guessing (though probably wrongly) that this is when one file fills up and another begins. Or something. I'm going to try one big file for the entire timeshifting buffer. Good idea? Bad idea?

logifuse

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Sydney
    Home Country
    I use the free DataRAM one for a 4GB RAM drive (leaving another 4GB memory for Win 7 64bit - 8GB total) with ForTheRecord/Argus. Works perfectly. Argus is configured for 4x750MB timeshift files, so it never maxes out.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi there,

Despite having started this thread ages ago, I have only just got round to having a go at setting up Dataram Ramdisk to use for timeshifting. I am now faced with a scary looking configuration screen with various tabs. I would be really grateful for instructions as to how best set things up - I assume that I do not want to be setting up a Ramdisk based upon Fat16 or Fat32.

Thanks

Alex

logifuse

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Sydney
    Home Country
    These were my steps:

Install the Dataram RAM Disk app & then run it.
    Change the format option to unformatted (we'll format it in NTFS later) & change the size to 4092 MB (4GB).
    Start the RAM Disk. A dialogue about installing the driver will pop up - choose to install it.
    Once it's started, navigate to computer management (right-click Computer, choose manage) & then go to disk management. Right-click on the unallocated space of the new 4GB drive & choose new simple volume & step through the steps choosing NTFS quick format & give it a volume label (I chose RAM Disk).
    When that finishes, you'll probably get a new drive auto-run pop-up, just close it.
    Go back to the RAM Disk Config utility & go to the Load & Save tab. Click save disk image now.
    Once the image has saved, tick load disk image at startup & then click file & save settings. It will tell you that the settings can't be applied until next startup. That's fine. Exit out of the program (same warning).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom