Random channel change failures (1 Viewer)

SimondusMaximus

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2009
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MediaPortal Version: 1.1.0 Final server and 2 clients
    MediaPortal Skin: Blue3 and Fidelity
    Windows Version: Windows 7 x32 Home clients, x64 Pro Server
    CPU Type: Atom 330 clients, AMD 965 Server
    HDD: OEM 150GB clients, Raid 1 & Raid 5 on server
    Memory: 2GB clients, 6GB server
    Motherboard: Zotac in clients, ASUS in server
    Video Card: nVidia ION onboard Zotac
    Video Card Driver: Latest nVidia drivers 258.96
    Sound Card: On mobo
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: Blackgold 3500
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
    1. TV Card Driver: latest
    2. TV Card: Kworld dual USB
    2. TV Card Type: DBV-T
    2. TV Card Driver: latest
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: MPC-MPEG2
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPC-MPA
    h.264 Video Codec: MS DTV
    Satelite/CableTV Provider:
    HTPC Case:
    Cooling:
    Power Supply: Zotac 90 watt
    Remote: Logitech Harmony 555
    TV: Toshiba Regza 32" 1080p
    TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hi all,

Firstly thanks for the MP final release. The upgrade on my server went without a hitch and a clean install of all my clients was nice and easy. It's been running superbly so many thanks for all your efforts and hard work.

However, and I doubt this is anything to do with the Final release version, but every now and then when changing TV channels, the picture freezes and will sit there indefinitely until I either stop the timeshift buffer, change channel again, or rewind the buffer. I can then zap the buffer to present time and channel will display without problems, but if I wait too long to do this, MP freezes completely and I have to end the process through task manager.

It tends to happen to some channels more than others such as Channel 4+1, Dave Ja Vu, others around the same location in my list, and some others I can't quite remember, but it's very random and I can't see a set pattern.

I've attached my client and server logs but let me know if I'm missing anything. It happened during this set of logs around 16:57, changing between Dave Ja Vu or Channel4+1 or Sky, I think. I thought it might be related to reception through my TV aerial, but because the timeshift buffer is working fine whilst the channel is "hanging" on the client, and I can skip back and then forward to the live point, I think that can be ruled out.

So any help or suggestions, as always, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help, and keep up the good work!

Cheers
    Si

dedi

Portal Pro
    January 27, 2010
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Sounds like the same issue I have observed. Same for me, random picture freeze (sound is playing) on channel switch until stop/channel change (sometimes need multiple changes).

Sorry no logs until tomorrow.

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    I can confirm this. Same for me, random picture freeze (sound is playing) on channel switch until stop/channel change.

Your issue is different, audio keeps playing. Plus you posted no logs.

SimondusMaximus

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Thanks for replying arion_p. That bugtracker certainly has the exact symptoms I'm experiencing. Though it says "MultiSeat using UNC are not affected because in that case the file is kept open while the graph is stopped and restarted, so no seeking takes place." Is this referring to the configuration.exe /debugoptions settings?

Cheers
    Si

kjd01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 24, 2009
    Please excuse me if this is a stupid idea. I am not a coder, so this is just a thought of mine and I know this sounds like a really rough fix, but considering there doesn't sound like there is a fix in the short term it might be worth a try.

Everytime the channel is changed could the program after changing the channel then send a skip forward of ?? time to get to the end. This is how I manually fix the problem, by changing channels then skipping forward. OSD shows END and the TV starts working again. I am pretty certain I only press the skip button once everytime, which is 15secs.

As I stated I am not a programmer, just a normal user trying to get a solution to this problem. If you need me to test, get logs etc just let me know I am more than happy to help.

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    That could be a workaround. I don't know what other side effects it may have.

SimondusMaximus

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Hi all,

I can confirm what kjd01 mentioned above - when the channel change fails, skipping forward to the end of the buffer works every time, and I didn't seen any side effects from doing this.

However, I configured the debug options to point to the timeshift location via a UNC path and after a couple of days rigorous testing, I haven't seen a single channel change issue. Everything is working very smoothly indeed!

I love it when a plan comes together!

Cheers
    Si

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom