Random Crash / Freeze during video playback - garbled audio continues playing (1 Viewer)

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I have had a nice stable system since MP version 1.2.3 (so for a couple of months approx) but I have recently developed a problem, nothing has changed to my system, so I am a bit stuck on how to fix it.

The problem is that I am getting intermittent and random crashes / total system freeze whilst playing back video. The audio continues, but is either garbled, or is on a 1 or 2 second loop. The HTPC is totally unresponsive to any commands, and I have to physically press the reset switch on the front of the PC to manually reboot the system every time it happens.

It has happened on live and recorded tv (Freeview HD) and on playing back avi files via the TV Series plug in. It does not happen every session, but if it does happen, it will usually occur within the first hour or so.

I have done everything obvious to try and fix, as in updated all drivers and video / audio codecs, got all the latest Windows Updates, uninstalled a couple of non-essential plug-ins. I know that it isn't heat related as I am monitoring my temps and they are okay, and the crashes have occured when the system has been running relatively cool.

Is this a known issue, or does anyone have any ideas of what may be causing this problem?

Many thanks

lisa

EDIT: I am not able to post logs as the system crash prevents any logs being written. System specs are in my profile. Let me know if you need more info.

LJG

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just thought I would update this in case it helps anyone else in the future.

After an extensive amount of testing and trial and error, I am pretty sure that I have found the fault - it is a faulty memory dimm slot on the motherboard.

Currently running stable with 1 x 2GB in Dimm slot B, whereas it crashes on 2 x 2GB, and also on 1 x 2GB in slot A.

Still deciding whether to live with just 2GB of RAM or change the motherboard...

lisa

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom