Random "skipping" behaviour (Timeshift, Recorded playback and DVD) (1 Viewer)

tallen

May 6, 2008
Sydney
Home Country
TV-Server Version: N/A
MediaPortal Version: 0.2.3.0
MediaPortal Skin: Default
Windows Version: XP Pro SP2
CPU Type: Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 (2.4Ghz, 2Mb cache, 800FSB)
HDD: SATAII 7200rpm 160Gb
Memory: 2Gb DDR2-800
Motherboard: Abit S775 AB9 (1066 FSB)
Video Card: Leadtek WinFast PX6600GT (nVidia) 128Mb, PCI-e x16
Video Card Driver: Latest (downloaded today)
Sound Card: Onboard AIT (7.1 surround)
Sound Card AC3: not sure
Sound Card Driver: Latest (downloaded today)
1. TV Card: DigitalNow Dual Hybrid S2, PCI-e x2
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver: Latest (downloaded today)
MPEG2 Video Codec: nVidia DMA
MPEG2 Audio Codec: nVidia DMA
h.264 Video Codec: no idea
Satelite/CableTV Provider: free-to-air only (Australia)
HTPC Case: Silverteck
Cooling: 2 x case fans above CPU, CPU + GPU fans
Power Supply: 300W
Remote: Not sure of the brand, but came with Dell (Media Centre compatible)
TV: Dell projector
TV - HTPC Connection: VGA

Randomly when watching a DVD, watching a recorded TV program and when in timeshift mode, the playback will "skip" backward or forward to a random position. It does not happen when watching a live broadcast (with timeshift turned off). It usually skips backward, but occasionally it will also skip forward. When watching a DVD, it tends to skip back/forward to a chapter point, but not always. It usually doesn't happen for a while - I can usually get about 2/3 through a DVD) but once it starts it keeps happening at random intervals. Other times it will run perfectly for a week, then start happening within minutes of being booted up. Even after it's happened, I can leave the PC running over the weekend unused and it won't happen next time I use it.

There does not appear to be any pattern at all in the behaviour - as soon as I think I've spoted it, it will do something to break it.

I have had this problem since I first used Media Portal, with different hardware (the specs above are the most recent build which I completed today) - I've changed everything from the CPU, 3 different video cards (ATI, Intel and nVidia), different DVB tuners, different DVD drives, different software and hardware codecs, different drivers, etc. I've tried upgrading/downgrading drivers, I've turned off every service not being used (eg. indexing, automatic updates), I've upgraded/downgraded Media Portal, etc.

Does anyone have this problem and know how to fix it? It's incredibly frustraiting, especially for my girlfriend who doesn't give a @#@#$ about the software or hardware and just wants to watch a DVD

5Hundred

Portal Pro
December 14, 2007
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I'll bet you a beer that you have a wireless mouse or keyboard. Most likely the cause is this or your remote receiver. Try unplugging them and see if it solves the problem. Essentially stray signals are picked up and sent to MP.

SizzleChest

Portal Member
November 26, 2007
Butt Town
Home Country
I've had the exact same problem the entire time I've been using mediaportal. I have wireless keyboard and mouse so will try 5Hundred's suggestion and report back - makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the suggestion.

Have tried heaps of different solutions with no success, although writing timeshift buffer to c: rather than partitioned drive seemed to give a slight improvement in tv skipping.

tallen

May 6, 2008
Sydney
Home Country
Ahh huh! That's soooo simple and it worked perfectly.

Since I unplugged the keyboard/mouse it I've not had a single skip. How is this even possible - surely the wireless encodes the signal to prevent this from happening. Stupid cheap wireless keyboard.

Thanks 5hundred - BRILLIANT!

5Hundred

Portal Pro
December 14, 2007
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Good to hear your problem was sorted, next time i'm in Oz i'll claim that beer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom