RAW Viewer Plugin for MediaPortal 1.2.0 (1 Viewer)

narsor

Portal Member
August 28, 2010
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
At last a RAW image viewer and slideshow display plugin!
RAW Image Viewer Plugin can display RAW images stored on your disk, and you can show them as slideshow.

Plugin is published and accessible at https://www.team-mediaportal.com/extensions/pictures/raw-picture-viewer

Plugin is very stable, uses Imagemagick tools to do the trick. Please report the problems here and I'll have a look at the problems if any

Fafnir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 19, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    At last a RAW image viewer and slideshow display plugin!
    RAW Image Viewer Plugin can display RAW images stored on your disk, and you can show them as slideshow.

Plugin is published and accessible at https://www.team-mediaportal.com/extensions/pictures/raw-picture-viewer

Plugin is very stable, uses Imagemagick tools to do the trick. Please report the problems here and I'll have a look at the problems if any

Thanks for that plugin, although I do not have any RAW images yet, but that will come soon, when the camera arrives!
    In the meantime I do have two question on this plugin:
    1st: Does it also support the standard formats?
    2nd: Can you think about extending this plugin with a function "picture playlist", where you can scroll through your folder an add pictures you like to show (similar to the music which plays manually chosen contents)?

Ref. the second question: Hopefully this is not cheeky to ask that from you, but I have zero coding skills on that and not any idea where to start that.
    Since my TV is kind of centered in the living rooms, I often let it just show some pictures, but they always have to be picked with mouse into a folder, then start mediaportal again...To do that from within Mediaportal would be very nice!

Thanks though.

Fafnir

narsor

Portal Member
    August 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks for that plugin, although I do not have any RAW images yet, but that will come soon, when the camera arrives!
    In the meantime I do have two question on this plugin:
    1st: Does it also support the standard formats?
    2nd: Can you think about extending this plugin with a function "picture playlist", where you can scroll through your folder an add pictures you like to show (similar to the music which plays manually chosen contents)?

Ref. the second question: Hopefully this is not cheeky to ask that from you, but I have zero coding skills on that and not any idea where to start that.
    Since my TV is kind of centered in the living rooms, I often let it just show some pictures, but they always have to be picked with mouse into a folder, then start mediaportal again...To do that from within Mediaportal would be very nice!

Thanks though.

Fafnir

Plugin handles standard images as well as RAW images, you can mix them in the same directory. Also there is slideshow support that can optionally walk through your directory structure.

I think second question can be handled with the slideshow, just have a look and tell me how it is working!

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    HI.
    First of all Thanks for the plugin.
    Please let me ask some questions.
    Is there a way to navigate through the pictures with manual control (e.g. cursor keys on remote)?
    Is there a way to start slideshow as a given point (e.G. start with picture #15 instead of picture #1 in the folder)?
    Is there a way to get some preview in Listviev, cover view,... and is it possible to use folder.jpg as thumb for folder?
    Is there a way to get rid of those text below Image? This costs a lot of space and as height is the limiting factor on today's display (16:9 format leaves blank space right and left on landscape oriented pictures, not to talk about portrait oriented...)

Plugin is working stable here, but not too fast.

narsor

Portal Member
    August 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    HI.
    First of all Thanks for the plugin.
    Please let me ask some questions.
    Is there a way to navigate through the pictures with manual control (e.g. cursor keys on remote)?
    Is there a way to start slideshow as a given point (e.G. start with picture #15 instead of picture #1 in the folder)?
    Is there a way to get some preview in Listviev, cover view,... and is it possible to use folder.jpg as thumb for folder?
    Is there a way to get rid of those text below Image? This costs a lot of space and as height is the limiting factor on today's display (16:9 format leaves blank space right and left on landscape oriented pictures, not to talk about portrait oriented...)

Plugin is working stable here, but not too fast.

• It is good to hear that plugin is stable, RAW conversion takes time, although the good thing is that the conversion is done once per picture unless you modify the picture. Check the plugin settings to be sure that your cache files do not get deleted too early (if you have diskspace, select size check option and specify some good space like a few GB's, so that you navigate at a blazing speed by time), as there is a cache management section there. I have quite a fast machine here, and especially picture generation for the slideshow is taking sometime here. Unfortunately, RAW to jpg image conversion is very processor intensive action as far as I see.
    • Navigation works on the remote and keyboard and mouse, you can use cursor keys, press enter or "OK" on the remote for an individual picture (while it is selected), that picture is displayed in full screen.
    • If you start slideshow through the leftside menu, it starts cycling through the pictures. If you are visiting the directory the first time with slideshow, those big sized images needs time to be converted, and slideshow just cycles through the converted pictures through a sequence determined by the filename.
    • folder.jpg usage is a good idea, it is ignored at the moment. On listview isn't there a preview also? May be you are using the old version, try updating the plugin, I am modifying it frequently nowadays :) There should be preview with the exception of thumbnail views.
    • Quite easy to get rid of the label really, it is in skin.xml file, when I have some time, I'll try to write a document to be able to customize the display according to your taste. It may be a good idea to have it as an option in plugin settings also, I'll have a look at it.
    If something is not working, I appreciate if you can send the log files so that I can have a look at the problem.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Thanks for Reply.

Navigation works on the remote and keyboard and mouse, you can use cursor keys, press enter or "OK" on the remote for an individual picture (while it is selected), that picture is displayed in full screen.

OK, I think I did not make myself understandable enough, sorry. What I'm asking for is to go to next or prev. Image if I'm looking at a picture in Full screen without the automatically working Slideshow. I have a look at a picture and if i watched it long enough I want to go to the next picture without the way over the listview. So I manually can walk through pictures in same folder without exiting fullscreen view. Aside this I would like to have the possibility to start slideshow with actual picture from inside fullscreen view e.G. by pressing "play" button on remote.

On listview isn't there a preview also?
    Nope, no preview on any view I can choose of.
    try updating the plugin,
    downloaded the plugin yesterday...

Quite easy to get rid of the label really,
    I have found the control where the label is displayed. Disabling this and the label is gone. But the picture stays at same Size as before leaving blank space on three sides.

Maybe an config- option for display resolution (e.G. 1280x720, 1920x1080, 1366x768,...) could be a great thing in future. Personally I'm using Full HD 1920x1080 so this would be my preferred resolution. Others may just like to have different ones...

I hope this plugin could be a complete replace for inbuild picture plugin some days. The inbuild plugin did not scale pictures by default so lots of older pictures are way too small on High Resolution screens we use today. My first Digicam had VGA resolution...;) As retired pro photographer with more than 500.000 pictures I'm really in a need for a good pictures plugin...

narsor

Portal Member
    August 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    OK, I think I did not make myself understandable enough, sorry. What I'm asking for is to go to next or prev. Image if I'm looking at a picture in Full screen without the automatically working Slideshow. I have a look at a picture and if i watched it long enough I want to go to the next picture without the way over the listview. So I manually can walk through pictures in same folder without exiting fullscreen view. Aside this I would like to have the possibility to start slideshow with actual picture from inside fullscreen view e.G. by pressing "play" button on remote.

Ah, I did not get your question correct on the previous post, now it is clear to me, I have a new version now that has next and previous button if you are in slideshow when you select slideshow from left menu. Just wait a few days until I upload the new version

Nope, no preview on any view I can choose of.
    Uhm, can you post here a screenshot of your listview mode? It would help me a lot to identify which version you are using. Or if you can check the version from extension installer, it would help me a lot to find out why you don't have the preview.

About the label and image size, you can also adjust the size of the image, but I need to publish some information about the skins, it is not very easy to find it out. I'll write a few things about the skin files so that anyone can modify them to their tastes.

Now it's time to check the plugin and send the newest version once the tests are completed. Cheers.

alfredopa

July 18, 2007
    it's possible to obtain source code for modify the picture engine? Maybe dcraw is more fast.

narsor

Portal Member
    August 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    at the moment, RAW Viewer plugin is using dcraw (which is part of imagemagick) for conversion. If I am not wrong, I have seen more than one version of dcraw and derivatives on the internet, but they sometimes have different parameters to launch. I will be very happy if someone can make a test for RAW to jpg conversion applications with suitable licenses and make a test to check their speed, and announce them here. If I have some real world results, I will be happily updating the plugin to have the ability to use those programs. At the moment it is too hard for me to walk over them and test each one, as there are a couple of modifications are ongoing with the plugin (you are welcome to check the planned changes on plugin page)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom