[no Bug] RC 5 - "Dropped frames" in TV (ATI CCC 10.6 issue) (1 Viewer)

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Devs!

Yesterday i made a fresh install of OS and MP RC 5! Now in live TV i ge a lot of "dropped frames" and stuttering! It's the same in SDTV or HDTV, SAF 4 or SAF 5!

Logs are attached!

Best regards

Helios

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: RC 5 - "Dropped frames" in TV

Hi Devs!

I think, it's no bug, but it's odd! Only opening :confused: the Catalyst Control Center window solves the issue -> no dropped frames! Closing the window -> a lot of dropped frames! It's CCC 10.6!

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    re: RC 5 - "Dropped frames" in TV (ATI CCC 10.6 issue)

Marking as no bug and updated title incase anyone else is searching for this

BJ Eagle

Portal Member
    June 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi - I've run into similiar problems. For me it seems HW accelerated decoding got switched of with the mediaportal 1.1 rc5 and catalyst 10.6 combination. I will try to revert to catalyst 10.5 tonight and see if that helps. My system specs are more or less in the same ballpark as yours (Radeon HD4350 on Win7 32 bit). You will probably notice a high increase in CPU usage compared to working HW accelerated video decoding. This is the cause for the framedrops I experience.

The funny thing is that I have PowerDVD 10 installed and uses those codecs in MediaPortal. HW decode fails in Mediaportal but not in Powerdvd... :confused:

fabien44

Portal Pro
    March 12, 2006
    Hi - I've run into similiar problems. For me it seems HW accelerated decoding got switched of with the mediaportal 1.1 rc5 and catalyst 10.6 combination. I will try to revert to catalyst 10.5 tonight and see if that helps. My system specs are more or less in the same ballpark as yours (Radeon HD4350 on Win7 32 bit). You will probably notice a high increase in CPU usage compared to working HW accelerated video decoding. This is the cause for the framedrops I experience.

The funny thing is that I have PowerDVD 10 installed and uses those codecs in MediaPortal. HW decode fails in Mediaportal but not in Powerdvd... :confused:

Are you able to set DXVA in the PDVD10 codec properties?

Helios61

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: RC 5 - "Dropped frames" in TV (ATI CCC 10.6 issue)

Same issue with Catalys 10.5! But the joke is, if i (only) open CCC, it is working like a charme!

Are you able to set DXVA in the PDVD10 codec properties?

Yes

BJ Eagle

Portal Member
    June 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I tried reverting to CCC 10.5 which did not help my case. Reinstalled MediaPortal 1.1 RC5 (fresh install) didn't help either. I think I have to start from scratch which really breaks my mood since it worked perfectly until something happened that I can't seem to revert. Hence I have no clue to as what it was or how to prevent it from happening again.

@ Helios61 - the "fix" with opening CCC does me no good.

@ fabien44 - yes: Hardware acceleration (ATI Avivo) is checked

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    That ATi AVIVO is for the file converter - the poster was asking if you have PDVD10 set for DXVA on.

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy

I suspect the powerdvd properties in MP to set HW acceleration do not work anymore with powerdvd10 (probably registry settings have been changed). So you have to enable DXVA in powerdvd10 itself.

I suggest you to try another codec (for instance microsoft one) and see if it gets better (in my configuration I'm not able to use powerdvd10, it gives a lot of stutter, but MS codec works fine).

Also please configure your system properties in your forum profile and make it visible so we can help you better.

If you have the problem with 1080i HDTV only and output to a fullhd display, it may also be your GPU that is underpowered for vector adaptive deinterlacing of 1080i under MP with fullhd resolution. One thing you can try is to disable some aero effects, like transparency, to reduce GPU load (do not disable aero itself or you will get tearing).

BJ Eagle

Portal Member
    June 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    You are right. It seems I have been fooled a bit. I found another thread which showed the missing registry entries:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CyberLink\Common\clcvd\MediaPortal]
    "UIUseHVA"=dword:00000001
    "UIVMode"=dword:00000001

So it seems my previous PDVD10 codec usage was indeed not HW accelerated. So my problem now is if I use either PDVD10 Video Decoder or MS (Win7 32 bit) codec I get bad stutter with HDTV. But only in mediaportal... Without HW acceleration (PDVD10 Codec) the playback is more or less smooth but CPU usage lies about 75-90 % which I of course would like to avoid.

So a new question is - why the HW accelerated stutter in mediaportal ? Any ideas ?

P.S. Filmerit 3.0.8 shows no errors

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom