[no Bug] RC 5 - "Dropped frames" in TV (ATI CCC 10.6 issue) (2 Viewers)

dale77

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 14, 2009
    Christchurch
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    So it seems my previous PDVD10 codec usage was indeed not HW accelerated. So my problem now is if I use either PDVD10 Video Decoder or MS (Win7 32 bit) codec I get bad stutter with HDTV. But only in mediaportal... Without HW acceleration (PDVD10 Codec) the playback is more or less smooth but CPU usage lies about 75-90 % which I of course would like to avoid.

So a new question is - why the HW accelerated stutter in mediaportal ? Any ideas ?

P.S. Filmerit 3.0.8 shows no errors

I think your GPU is underpowered for 1080i under Mediaportal and EVR. There are also other users who have this GPU and have similar problems. This is confirmed by the fact that if you use CPU instead of GPU everything is smooth.

You have the problem only in MePo because MePo needs more resources than other software. Remember MePo is a complete mediacenter solution where other software like WMP are not.

You can also try to lower resolution to 720p and see if you have the problem.

BJ Eagle

Portal Member
    June 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    @ robyf

Thanks for your thoughts - but I tend to disagree. Using software requires far more CPU resources than HW acceleration (80 vs 20 %) but the stuttering is mostly evident with HW acceleration. There might be some other resource usage that I am not aware of but my video card have no problem playing BlueRay discs (granted in PDVD10) with a much higher resolution than HDTV...
    :confused:

Seems you were right - just tested 720p and it has no stutter in 720p. Not that I fully understand why as I still think my argument is valid.

Seems I will have to investigate how to automatically change screen resolution with either MP or PDVD

robyf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Bolzano
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    @ robyf

Thanks for your thoughts - but I tend to disagree. Using software requires far more CPU resources than HW acceleration (80 vs 20 %) but the stuttering is mostly evident with HW acceleration. There might be some other resource usage that I am not aware of but my video card have no problem playing BlueRay discs (granted in PDVD10) with a much higher resolution than HDTV...
    :confused:

Seems you were right - just tested 720p and it has no stutter in 720p. Not that I fully understand why as I still think my argument is valid.

Seems I will have to investigate how to automatically change screen resolution with either MP or PDVD

Blue ray disk are 1080p so do not require deinterlacing that is a really GPU intensive task.

Anyway try to lower resolution to 720p and let me know. You can also try to lower deinterlacing settings in ATi CCC and see if gets better.

Look also at this thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ity-development-81148/index30.html#post627370

There are also other where users with this card have problems with 1080i.

BJ Eagle

Portal Member
    June 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Blue ray disk are 1080p so do not require deinterlacing that is a really GPU intensive task.

Thanks for that bit. Since you guided me in the direction of a performance issue I tried to give the GPU minimal work:
    no GPU scaling
    3D set to maximum performance
    disabling win7 Aero

and it seems I got rid of stuttering with HW accelerated HDTV in 1080P resolution. so :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom