[not reproducible] RC3 -> RC4: .NET Exception (1 Viewer)

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,
    The most important fix is about the issue some users experienced where the installer was not able to stop the TV Service properly.
    This resulted in the problem that the new version could not be installed and the TV-Server failed.
    Actually I experienced exactly this behavior for RC4 rather than for RC3...

While I had had no issues to update from RC2 -> RC3, doing the same for RC3 - >RC4 threw a .NET Framework exception when trying to update the TVServer piece, leaving me with an only partially updated and therefore non-functional installation. I apologize for not having screen dumped the error message.

Running a system restore to return to the previous setup messed up the MP installation. Fortunately running the RC4 installer once again yielded a fully functional installation with all user data preserved.

Regards, HTPC_Sourcer

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    re: RC3 -> RC4: .NET Exception

logs, logs, logs....didi I say we need logs ? Just in case I forgot: logs !!!

Simone

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: RC3 -> RC4: .NET Exception

Sorry Simone,

I forgot to mention that there are no logs left to post. When I reverted back to the previous state through system recovery the faulty TV Server logs had disappeared while the whole installation was messy. Second installation attempt was successful but I couldn't find any trace of relevant logs from the previous TV Server installation.

Regards, HTPC_Sourcer

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    re: RC3 -> RC4: .NET Exception

I guessed that, but without logs I cannot see the bug.

:sorry:

Simone

davidf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 3, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    This happened to me too, there was nothing in the logs afterwards (including the installation logs). The slight difference is that I use a multiseat setup and do get logged errors on the client (Which I'll post when I go home). Can't remember the exact wording but it says that the tvserver is version 1.0.7 and the client is 1.0.8.
    Given the error, mp still works and the server appears to have upgraded correctly (filewise identical compared to a full install on another laptop) and it appears to have failed after that (guess that the version is stored in the registry?). I cannot reinstall as the installer detects that RC4 is installed so does nothing. I'll go and look for a registry key as soon as there is no demand on the server (i.e. wife in bed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom