RC3, upgrading and TV (1 Viewer)

NorthernJohn

Portal Pro
January 31, 2006
Hopefully on my bike.
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi

I've been out of the loop for a while, been happilly running 0.2.2.0+svn with pretty good stability (and WAF).

I'm having a couple of issues creeping in since a house move and may take the opportunity to upgrade to RC3 to see if that helps.

I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the TV component of RC3? Is it the built in TVengine or do I need to go through the full TVserver install? For my needs the built in engine has always done the job.

2. Does the TV server pick up the epg from the DVB-T signal? That could swing my decision. Grabbers and aligning with the channel list was always a nightmare for me.

3. Is the upgrade path a complete uninstall and reinstall?

:D
John

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Does the TV server pick up the epg from the DVB-T signal? That could swing my decision. Grabbers and aligning with the channel list was always a nightmare for me

That works fine.

Actually found TVE3 more reliable than MyTV because of MP crashing every so often.

Is the upgrade path a complete uninstall and reinstall

A lot of the database info has changed, so upgrading is advised as a clean installation (i tried but a few things screwed up).

flokel

Portal Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 11, 2005
    Unterfranken
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi
    1. What is the TV component of RC3? Is it the built in TVengine or do I need to go through the full TVserver install? For my needs the built in engine has always done the job.

You do not need to install the TVServer,
    RC3 uses the build in tv engine.

NorthernJohn

Portal Pro
    January 31, 2006
    Hopefully on my bike.
    Home Country
    Thanks for the replies.
    You do not need to install the TVServer,
    RC3 uses the build in tv engine.
    But then I'd have to use epg grabbers rather than get the listings off the DVB-T signal. Correct? This point will determine whether I go with the server or MyTV.

Cheers

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    But then I'd have to use epg grabbers rather than get the listings off the DVB-T signal. Correct? This point will determine whether I go with the server or MyTV.

Both TV versions grab epg for me, TV2 you have to be at some point connected to each multiplex, to get full epg, TVE3 cycles through different multiplex's so it pulls in data for all received channels whilst idle.

NorthernJohn

Portal Pro
    January 31, 2006
    Hopefully on my bike.
    Home Country
    Sorry to bump this but I have another related q.

I have a few things in my recorded tv and a few things on advanced schedule to be recorded. With previous upgrades, I was able to Backup my tv library and import it back in, thereby not losing any information about the recordings.

Is this still possible with the revamped database in RC3?

Cheers

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I have upgraded to RC3 by uninstalling RC2, deleting everything remaining, then set up RC3 from scratch and then recovering the TV and video databases (well, and TV logos); that borught back all my recordings, schedules, etc. I don't think they have changed in any way. Don't keep the xml config files, though, that's a sure way to get into trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom