Reasons why i don't use Mp anymore (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    esperado - You say you are a developer?

<sarcasism mode on>
    So when you "release" a product for testing it works perfectly and all the old configuration data is picked up just where you as a user left off?
    WOW
    You must be one of the best developers I have ever heard of!
    <sarcasism mode off>

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    mzemina said:
    esperado - You say you are a developer?

<sarcasism>
    So when you "release" a product for testing it works perfectly and all the old configuration data is picked up just where you as a user left off?
    WOW
    You must be one of the best developers I have ever heard of!
    <sarcasism>

My thoughts exactly.
    esperado, your post really has a lot of anger in it. Next you'll probably demand your money back.

Really, if you want something that will work straight away without any issues, why not try MythTV or MS Media Centre (again with the sarcastic mode?).

Its really probably for the best if you don't post any more on this site though...

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    esperado said:
    Oh, I have to go dinner. I press Pause in the pinnacle soft (it stop the graph, black screen half a second, (time to reopen a new one with time shift on), begin to record with image paused...

Have a good night, everybody. For me, i will see the end of the moovie when i get back, fore sure.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/viewtopic.php?p=51459
    esperado said:
    A two weeks ago, i tried to find an HTPC to work with my new Pinnacle 300 i DVB-t card, pissed off by the Pinnacle media center (as it was with PCTV softwares) full of bugs, not able to manage the composite inputs of the card, not able to scan channels in my contry without two patches (takes 45 minutes to scan) and so on.

made my day dude ;)

esperado

Portal Member
    July 24, 2005
    Paris France
    ASiDiE said:
    BTW. Your whole post is UTTER SH!T.
    Thanks, i appreciate.
    ASiDiE said:
    I just installed RC4.. and YES... it does say RC4 on it. When you figure out how to INSTALL the product... let us know.
    When you download an "installer", you click on the exe. That i've done, Dot. "As a newbee", as an ordinary "user", on purpose.

If there is some precautions to take, like uninstall some previous componants, erase or modify some entries in registry, register/unregister some DLL/activeX, etc...the installer has to take care of it, warn, or, better, do-it itself, silent.
    We are in 2006, and it is a windows program. (Did-you know how to build an installer with Installshield, IStool, or whatever ?)

Non, i did not "upgrade", if you mean copy the components in my previous folder and run any batch, like for a new cvs. If i understand well, RC means "release candidate", including the installer ?

Did the user have to follow one week of night training in order to upgrade Mp, read 100 pages of "Mp in a nutshell" ?
    And, of course, format his partition ?

Ah, btw, it was pretty painfull to build a blackbox with a debian and MythTV. That's Linux ;-). Working as espected, at the end. I had spend much more time with my previous versions of Mp, with not such a result.
    (Not this time ;-)

aasmund Nordal

Portal Pro
    June 20, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I think we all know what you don`t like about MP now, and that most of us disagree.
    It`s a waste of enegy to argue.

What is a bad and what is good software is up to what the person think. You say it`s bad, then it`s bad for you.

I think MP is the best htpc software I have tried.

I love features and skins :D and they are coming very fast!

esperado

Portal Member
    July 24, 2005
    Paris France
    [quote="[=highmade my day dude ;)[/quote]

What surprise you ? Pinnacle had *sell* to me a very bad software, with lies on the features (analog inputs on the box, not in the program). I was furious, i'm still, and will never buy a Pinnacle product anymore.
    They have worked (a little) on the program, and, now i have all the channels and time shift is working solid as long as you just do "pause" and "play". (never rewind or ff).
    The Program for Remote is just a shit (hungs after 10 channels changes or so) and some boring short drops in sound (clock problems) reminds you that a tv is the best to, you know, watch tv).
    I was very Happy to find in Mp a program able to manage fine both my video inputs and my Tnt in the same gui, to do time shifting etc..
    And the first version i tried was promising.

But, after so many problems during months with different versions of Mp, freezes, fucked recordings, because it doent support my analog inputs anymore, because i'm obliged to use the Pinnacle remote software with it... I'm back to Pinnacle, that i still don't like so much, but does what he does *better* (more solid, fast and less cpu consuming, at the end) and allow me to start other programs without not such drops and freezes.
    And because they work so little on their programs, i do not loose time to update ;-)
    Ok, that is my last answer. I feel like here is just a place for one voice congratulations and flowers.
    Kind of a sect ?

dicas

August 1, 2005
    Lisboa, Portugal
    Well, I understand well what esperado feels and says.

Fisrt of all let me introduce myself, I am a retired software systems engineer and IBM mainframes assembler programmer and my work for living was mainly trying, testing and debugging systems and applications. I am what you use to call a dinosaur, and very proud of it, to be honest.

I must say, because it is what I feel really, that MP has everything to be one of the best designed and thought applications that I have ever seen in the "micro" world. Pretty, full of features, covers almost averything that I can dream of. A dream, really.

Being a kind of kamikaze due to my background, I entered into test releases 0.2 and I've been trying to try it for some time now, but I must admit that I am loosing the battle, I am considering going back to 0.1.3.0 if I want to do something more than trying to make it work.

And this because I am facing silly problems that I am beginning to think that are beating me for good.

Now, let us think of user "X", a fellow that does not understand much of internals or codecs, or even debugging, the fellow that wants to do some recordings and watch some TV. Am I going to recommend MP to him? Not a chance. I have a lot of friends whose systems I help to support because I have a little more knowledge than them. Three of them bough recently TV cards (ATI 550 pro, the same as mine). To all of them I said the same: Media Portal is an extraordinary application, a very professional" (in the good sense :D)
    piece of software, but it is not for you... All of them are now with GB-PVR and very happy they are too. Simple, no problems, and, most of all, it works fine.

At the moment, my silly problem is a misplaced almost complete TV screen, that covers the controls and makes impossible for me to use MP.

I have tried anything that I can thing off to get rid of the problem (searching for "misplaced AND screen" and similar combinations gives 0 matches) without any success. I know that it may be caused by a bad setting (well, wich one?), or by some other small thing and as I am stubborn, I have kept trying, but without taking more pleasure from MP that my dsire to solve problems.

I'de love to be able to watch TV and make my recordins with MP, and I hope I'll do it someday, as I said before, it has everything to be a VERY good product, except user frindliness for the average PC owner.

I apologise for my English, it is a bit rusty, I reckon.

JL

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    At the moment, my silly problem is a misplaced almost complete TV screen, that covers the controls and makes impossible for me to use MP.

On that point I read recently another user with the same problem (but not the same card) and they fixed it by changing their tv card driver. Whether or not you need to goto a newer driver or older I cant say (or whether itll fix it).

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Hi Dicas,

I remember seeing another post with a similar issue a while ago.
    The best thing to do is to post a new topic in the support forum using the support template.

As a self professed dinosaur, you must understand that software that encompasses as much as MP will have quite a bit of configuring to do. If you just want the basics, then GBPVR is probably the best and simplest option. You must also understand that we are all here waiting and ready to help anyone who has any problems. All we ask is that you give us as much information about the problem as possible.

Considering the software is free and we are all volunteers (either with programming or support) then it's not really appropriate to come on here whingeing about your precious wasted time (not that you have, just the occasional other childish people who seem to think we owe them something).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom