recent error when trying to view multi-hour recorded files (1 Viewer)

sieve

Portal Member
February 20, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hi:

This error just started the other day. When I tried to watch a recorded multi-hour sporting event, the program just hung. Nothing played. I could not even get the control bar at the top to show so that I could exit the program. Oddly enough, shorter prerecorded programs (say 1/2 or 1 hour) play just fine. And I have a multi-hour sporting event from a few weeks ago that plays just fine. There must be something wrong, because the attached logs contain files that are named "error". Hopefully someone knows how to interpret them.

Thanks in advance!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello sieve

Thank you for providing the log files. Unfortunately they don't contain any information that would enable me to help you.

How do you receive TV?
    • digital terrestrial (from an antenna/aerial), ATSC
    • digital unencrypted cable, clear QAM
    • digital encrypted cable, CableCARD
    • analog cable
    • set top box connected to a capture card/input
    What tuner(s) do you have?

Are you able to play these multi-hour recordings in other programs?
    Are you sure the problem affects all channels? (Is it possible that all recordings for most channels are okay, and all recordings for some channels have problems?)

Please could you use the MediaPortal Watchdog tool to collect full log flies:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files
    1. Open the Watchdog tool.
    2. Select option 1 ("report a bug to Team MediaPortal").
    3. Click proceed.
    4. Select and play a shorter recording that you know works.
    5. Leave it playing for at least 30 seconds.
    6. Select and attempt to play a multi-hour recording that you know will not work. Ideally it would be from the same channel as the shorter recording.
    7. Wait for 60 seconds.
    8. Close MediaPortal. It's fine if you have to use task manager to kill MediaPortal. Either way, closing MediaPortal should trigger the Watchdog tool to create a zip archive of the log files for the session.
    9. Attach ("upload a file") the zip file in this thread.

Don't hesitate to ask if any of the above questions or instructions are not clear. :)

sieve

Portal Member
    February 20, 2015
    Home Country
    How do you receive TV?
    • digital terrestrial (from an antenna/aerial), ATSC

What tuner(s) do you have?

Hauppauge Colossus

No

Are you sure the problem affects all channels? (Is it possible that all recordings for most channels are okay, and all recordings for some channels have problems?)

I experienced the problem on multiple channels. Subsequent (shorter) recordings work fine. I don't know if the program length is the issue, but the ones that don't work are multi-hour and the ones that do work are shorter.

Please could you use the MediaPortal Watchdog tool to collect full log flies:

See attached.

Thanks![DOUBLEPOST=1455595341][/DOUBLEPOST]

Actually, I was able to play one of the programs that would not play in MP in a different video program. However, I was unable to play a different one in either.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmmm, strange.
    According to the log files, the only reason MediaPortal can't play the file is because a utility library we use called MediaInfo can't seem to get the recording's technical info (video/audio/subtitles formats, resolution, duration etc.). I've seen this sort of problem in the past, and if I recall correctly it was because the recording/video file was corrupt. Recordings can be corrupted/unplayable if you have bad or marginal signal quality at the time of the recording.

Can you try to install the latest version of MediaInfo from here and see if it can open the file?
    https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download/Windows

You're running Windows 8 64 bit so you would install the 64 bit GUI one:

If you're feeling adventurous, you could also do the following:
    1. Close MediaPortal.
    2. Open Windows Explorer.
    3. Navigate to your MediaPortal installation directory (typically c:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\).
    4. Make a backup of MediaInfo.dll.
    5. Download and extract the latest MediaInfo.dll from the MediaInfo download page - 32 bit DLL without installer, LINK - into the MediaPortal install directory to replace the original MediaInfo.dll.http://mediaarea.net/download/binar...o_DLL_0.7.82_Windows_i386_WithoutInstaller.7z
    6. Open MediaPortal and try to play the recording(s) again.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    No luck opening the file in MediaInfo?
    ...or no luck opening the file in MediaPortal after updating the MediaInfo DLL?

If you tried to update the DLL, please could you provide a new set of log files showing what happens.

Note: in your previous set of log files I'm seeing some entries like this in your Windows system log file:
    "2/15/2016 9:31:40 PM";"disk";"(0)";"Warning";"The IO operation at logical block address 0x266fbd8f for Disk 2 was retried.";"2147745945"
    "2/15/2016 9:32:03 PM";"disk";"(0)";"Warning";"The IO operation at logical block address 0x266fbe0f for Disk 2 was retried.";"2147745945"
    "2/15/2016 9:35:11 PM";"disk";"(0)";"Warning";"The IO operation at logical block address 0x266fbe0f for Disk 2 was retried.";"2147745945"

I'm wondering if this means that one of your HDDs is about to give up.

sieve

Portal Member
    February 20, 2015
    Home Country
    No luck opening the file in MediaInfo?
    ...or no luck opening the file in MediaPortal after updating the MediaInfo DLL?

The latter. I didn't know that MediaInfo was a standalone program. Should I try to use it?

If you tried to update the DLL, please could you provide a new set of log files showing what happens.

OK, will do that when I return later.

I'm wondering if this means that one of your HDDs is about to give up.

Ugh. That would suck. Thanks for the heads up. I have noticed that performance was a bit laggy.
    Not sure if it is relevant, but I keep the AV files on an external Western Digital HD.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The latter. I didn't know that MediaInfo was a standalone program. Should I try to use it?
    Okay.
    In answer to your question: it's completely up to you. In theory updating the DLL for MediaPortal should give the same result as running MediaInfo stand-alone.

OK, will do that when I return later.
    Thanks. :)
    There's no rush. I'll be going to bed very soon (3:30 AM here in New Zealand). Just finishing a book.

Ugh. That would suck.
    Indeed. I'm sorry to have been the bearer of such news, but thought it was important to tell you. Considering that the message mentions "disk 2", I actually thought the message referred to one of your external drives, and wondered if it could even be directly connected to the problem at hand. The only piece of info that doesn't fit is the fact that you can play the same file in other software...

sieve

Portal Member
    February 20, 2015
    Home Country
    Indeed. I'm sorry to have been the bearer of such news, but thought it was important to tell you.

No; thanks.... better to know ahead of time.

Considering that the message mentions "disk 2", I actually thought the message referred to one of your external drives, and wondered if it could even be directly connected to the problem at hand. The only piece of info that doesn't fit is the fact that you can play the same file in other software...

I don't have a RAID, so I assume that Disk 2 must be one of the external ones. I'll have to verify that when I get back. If that's the case, replacing an external HD is much less painful.

Not sure at all why the file will play in a different player, but not MP. I had a multi-hour file from 1 week ago that plays fine in MP. The same program, on same channel, 1 week subsequent won't play in MP (and throws off those error codes) but for some reason, will play in a different player. Strange. And a multi-hour program recorded 1 day prior to the aforementioned one with the errors won't play in MP or alternate player. That specific example makes more sense with a hardware failure.

Thanks for your assistance. Good night!

More data later.

sieve

Portal Member
    February 20, 2015
    Home Country
    I checked, and drive 2 is a completely different drive. I only keep music on it. MP shouldn't have anything to do with it. Drive 1 is the external HD that has the MP files.
    I disconnected drive 2 and reran watchdog. Still failed. File attached.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom