Recommend HW/SW setup for small office (1 Viewer)

dennis9999

December 8, 2011
I'm a media server newbie. I'm considering MediaPortal. Would someone please let me know if what I want is doable, and recommend any components (HW, SW, Plugins, etc.):

Within a small office LAN, I would like to distribute multiple 'live' sources to multiple devices (tvs, pcs), each device selecting source (or in case of tv, a master pc indicating which source to send to tv):

inputs:
3 IP Cameras - ideally cat5 PoE
1 DVD Player (or can I just use the DVD player on the PC?)
1 Cable Box (recommend TV tuner card?)

outputs (players):
2 TVs with HDMI (and other input capability)
3 PCs

optionally, access cameras over internet.
Also, I don't yet have the HTPC for this, so if you could recommend a pre-built one with not just minimum, but actual real-world "recommended" CPU, Memory, etc. I'd really appreciate that too.

TIA

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi and welcome dennis9999 :)

So the first thing I want to clarify is that MediaPortal is PC software, which is to say that you can't use MP to distribute anything to a TV unless you have a PC (with MP installed on it) connected to that TV.

Within a small office LAN, I would like to distribute multiple 'live' sources to multiple devices (tvs, pcs), each device selecting source (or in case of tv, a master pc indicating which source to send to tv)...
    That sounds generally doable.

3 IP Cameras - ideally cat5 PoE
    MediaPortal's TV Server (which is what I guess you'd want to use for receiving and redistributing the IP camera feeds) is really designed for tuners. I don't know how you would connect the cameras into TV Server unless they produced DVB compliant IP-TV streams... which I think is probably unlikely. If they have composite, s-video or other generic AV outputs then you might be able to capture the streams with tuner card capture inputs. Note that I say tuner card - with the exception of the Hauppauge Colossus and HD-PVR MP does not support pure capture cards. We only support capture inputs on some cards that also have a tuner. Further, if the cameras don't have an audio feed then I'm sorry but they just won't work.

1 DVD Player (or can I just use the DVD player on the PC?)
    You can indeed use the DVD player on the PC.

1 Cable Box (recommend TV tuner card?)
    Are the channels encrypted?

optionally, access cameras over internet.
    If you found a way to ingrate the cameras into the setup via TV Server then you would be able to do that by configuring the router appropriately.

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom