Recommend satellite card witn no problems hybernate\resume. Fed up with Skystar2 BSOD (1 Viewer)

Zorg

Portal Pro
June 12, 2008
Home Country
Spain Spain
Hi,
Since I started with MediaPortal five years ago I have a TechniSat SkyStar 2 TV - PCI - DVB-S (MPEG2).
Good quality but some nasty problems when PC resumes from hibernation.
I've solved this problems using scripts, programs (HibernateTrigger), etc. ,but sooner or later the problem reappears and I find a BSOD that ruins all my scheduled recordings.

I'm desperate, can't stand it any more. Too may time wasted with this problem.

Is there a satellite card I could use (in Windows 8x 32 and last MP 1.3.0) with no problems at all to hibernate the PC and resume it?

I would appreciate very much some help.
Thank you in advance.

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Hi.

I have skystar2. Same issues with resume

I retired the card foe good.
    One card i have 0 problems with is blackgold.
    Try and lookup this manufacturer.

Lifes too short for crappy cards.

Zorg

Portal Pro
    June 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Thank you for answering.
    Blackgold seems a very good alternative, but the thing is I don't know which one should I buy.

I already have a DVB-T card (Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T-500) and all the Backgolds I've been on-line are at the same time DVB-S DVB-T and a lot of things more.

As I already have a DVB-T, I think I only need a DVB-S and/or DVB-S2 (if the one that is just DVB-S2 can also sintonize DVB-S, I'm not sure of this, but I suppose so)

In the on-line stores that I normally buy PC stuff, from Spain, there are these cards that I could quick and easily buy:

- TechniSat SkyStar 2 eXpress HD - PCIe x1-
    DVB-S (MPEG2), DVB-S2 (MPEG2/4)

- Terratec Cinergy S2 PCI HD
    DVB-S2 (MPEG2/4)

-Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-HD-S2 - PCI
    DVB-S2 (MPEG2/4)

These are just DVB-S and/or DVB-S2, but I don't know if they are good for the hibernate/resume issue or could be also a nightmare.

It would be kind of someone who knows any of these cards or simply who has any suggestion about it, could give me a hand on this.
    Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Django.edwards

Portal Pro
    October 22, 2009
    Eupen
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi Zorg, what I can recommend (I have 2 in my htpc) since I never (really never) ad Problems with is the Hauppauge WinTV Nova-HD-S2. With this Card you can receive DVB-S AND DVB-S2. Works perfectly for me.

Zorg

Portal Pro
    June 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Thank you, Django.edwards.
    So, you mean with this one the computer can enter sleep mode and resume to record scheduled programs without problems?
    Don't you need to make something special to avoid some problem? (I have to disable the Skystar before entering sleep mode and take some other precautions that anyway don't work always)

Last edited:

Django.edwards

Portal Pro
    October 22, 2009
    Eupen
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi Zorg, yes this will work. The only configuration I did, was to enable "reinitilize tuner after resume" and the "wait before tuner Access the Card" set to 10 sec. Thats all. Never had a Problem with These Settings.

In the htpc from my brother in law, I put an KNC TV Station DVB-S2 with CI Module and an TBS 6981 (dual tuner). They also works very good.

Last edited:

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2005
    I struggled with a pair of Skystar 2 cards for about 7 years, Rubbish drivers and support....If you can live without BBC HD then Compro Videomate S350 is unbeatable for the money, I bought 4 from a well known auction site a year ago for between 8 and 11 pounds each, I think they retail about £25 new.
    Running 3 now and keeping 1 spare with absolutely no problems at all with MP (including hibernate\resume).

Last edited:

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I would def. steer clear of any cards that are in need of various hacks and workarounds in order to "work" upon resume.

stuff like, re-init tvservice, time outs etc. are all just work arounds for bad drivers.

I can positively testify (hand on the bible) that the blackgold card BGT3595 works reliably with standby-resume without using hacks or other macro jobs.
    http://shop.blackgold.tv/BGT3595

The BGT3595 is an older card, they have introduced new cards since then.

What can I say...
    It's a pci-e card, which should offer more bandwitdh than vanilla pci.
    It has 2x dvb-t and 2x dvb-s2 tuners

I can tune into all tuners at once.
    tvservice /setupTV stress test seems stable last time I tried.

/gibman

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Only one comment with Blackgold: their drivers only support DiSEqC 1.0 (four port switches), so don't buy them if you have a satellite dish motor. :)

Zorg

Portal Pro
    June 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Thank you all for your answers.
    I still have some doubts.
    If I positively knew that I can see or record at the same time two or even three different channels from the three different satellites I have on the roof of my building, I wouldn’t doubt buying a dual card like the Blackgold (2x dvb-s2 tuners) or any other good dual DVB-S2 card, instead of the Hauppauge WinTV Nova-HD-S2.

The thing is I don’t understand much about DISEcQ and all the satellite stuff.
    This is the configuration I have in MP Server:

-SAT 1 DiSEqC: Level 1AA 13.0ºE EUTELSAT Hotbird 13A
    -SAT 2 Level 1AB 19.2ºE Astra 1KR,1L,1M, 2C
    -SAT 3 Level 1BA 5.0ºW Eutelsat 5 West A (The former name of this one was Atlantic Bird 3/ Telecom, I think)

I have two dishes on the roof, one with a monoblock for the 13.0 E Eutelsat Hotbird and the 19.2ºE Astra, and another dish for the 5.0ºW Eutelsat 5 West.
    From the dish with the monoblock get out two cables that get into the “DISEcQ 4 X 1 switch”, and from the other dish (5.0ºW Eutelsat 5 West) there’s on cable that get into the DISEcQ.
    Finally, there’s just one cable that get out from the DISEcQ and go down till my flat and is connected to the satellite card in the PC.

With this system, could I tune and see or record channels of the three satellites at the same time using a dual DVB-S2 card?

Thank you if someone could give me a hand with this, because depending on this, I would buy a simple DVB-S2 card or a dual one.

The prices are: Blackgold BGT3595: £109.00 (128 € I think)
    and Hauppauge WinTV Nova-HD-S2: 88,90 €
    And probably there are more good cards with no problem standby/resume.

Thank you in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom